TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Calling any 2.5L Iron Duke experts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2015 at 9:58pm
An Iron Duke . ran without oil or coolant at 2500 RPM for 7 hrs 32 mins 17 seconds . At a guess the time it dies event back in the mid 80's .... 
 host an event and do a 50/50 . enough people and it will pay for your swap ...
just sayin ...

edit ... mid 90's ....
sponsored by Lucas oil .

Edited by toolmanxiii - Jul/15/2015 at 11:36am
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 12:45am
Update for anyone actually interested:

I have picked-up the later exhaust manifold for the '85 to '93 Chevy application, for the Iron Duke in my '80 Spirit. It looks like this:

674-100

The manifold is more of a tubular exhaust and looks like it will flow a little bit better than the piece of junk that came on the car.
The only problems that I see are that the output of the manifold makes that 45 degree rearward exit straight towards the slave cylinder. It looks like it will be a little bit of a tight fit, but I think that it will still clear. This problem may also be helped out by the neccessary solution to the second, and bigger, problem.
The second problem is that even though this manifold is 2.5 inch in down-pipe diameter, the outlet narrows down to an incredibly small 1.5". Seriously! What is up with that?
The solution (not my idea, but practical) is to cut off the old 1.5 inch outlet right before it starts to neck down. Get a 2.5 inch flange outlet (commonly available), and weld it in place as shown in the photos below:

This should help the little motor breath, and I will have no problems with any smog police.

The more I have researched into this motor, I have learned that these things can be built into quite little monsters. Basically it is the Iron Duke that the ARCA racers run in their cars to this date.
Of course everything is aftermarket, but they are putting out relatively high horsepower numbers for a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder.
If I wanted to, I could literally build a completely aftermarket 4 cylinder powerhouse by keeping the block, but bolting on all new aftermarket full race head, intake, crank, rods, pistons, cam, road race oil pan & system, aftermarket SBC bolt pattern tranny...you name it.
But if I was going to do that, I sure wouldn't put it in my Spitit. I would go look for a '75- '80 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback to put it into. Now THAT would be kinda interesting, but not a Spirit.
g-man

Edited by g-man - Jul/19/2015 at 12:49am
AMC only daily driver
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 8:28am
Why not in the Spirit? It came that way from the factory (with the GM 2.5L)-- you're just improving the factory installation. Would cost a lot though, and most race versions used an aftermarket block as well (or a GM built racing block, not the standard production block). I'm sure you can do a lot with the stock block though. You can use a later model factory head, I believe. They had a cross-flow head in some front wheel drive vehicles. I'm not positive that the head bolt pattern didn't change, so you'll need to check head gaskets to make sure if you go that route.

GM changed the block several times -- the 87 Pontiac 6000 I once owned had a 2.5L. It had the DIS that had the module go through a hole in the block -- the pickup was made onto the module and tone ring was made onto the crank. If you want to use EFI make sure the donor engine has a distributor.

Actually, you should be able to use a TBI system distributor with the port injection, but that might need a custom PROM. The TBI system would be easiest to use -- trucks used the distributor motor for a few years more than cars, so look there for the last distributor 2.5L engines.
Frank Swygert
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Why not in the Spirit?

Frank,
It just seems kinda un-American (get it) to build a motor that would probably best be described as a Pontiac extreme enthusiast, or fanatic, or lunatic's, pipe dream...and then put it in an AMC???
As I mentioned earlier, this car is eventually going to get an AMC V-8.
If I had wanted to build-up a 4cyl for this car, I would have located an AMC 2.5L for it and run a turbo.
However, if I wanted to build a radical Iron Duke, that's very easy, it's just a small mortgage away.
The aftermarket blocks are $3,500+.
The crankshaft is another $1,375+.
The roller cam is $550+.
The aluminum 4-barrel intake manifold is a deal at only $385+.
Of course the good part is that you can use any SBC  head that you want, even billet if you desire, so I guess you could call it a true 'cross-flow' head.
Same goes with rods and pistons.
400-450 horsepower is typically what this naturally aspirated aftermarket engine makes.
It's kinda like the Keith Black Hemi of 4-cylinders.
And like I said, that would be cool to pop the hood of a '75 to '80 Pontiac Sunbird and see a radical Pontiac motor like that, ...but I would rather see a turbocharged AMC 2.5L, or an aluminum block AMC V-8, under the hood of my Spirit.
g-man

Edited by g-man - Jul/19/2015 at 1:35pm
AMC only daily driver
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 3:24pm
Good reasons!
Frank Swygert
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 5:46am
I've seem some bad rump 2.5's in S10's ... but according to their owners they were in the $10,000 range to build.  when I asked why would you spend that on a 4 banger   . most just Laughed and said why not , its different...............
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic