TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Wiring Harness (MSD)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trans Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Wiring Harness (MSD)
    Posted: Jun/29/2015 at 8:46am
Last year took my car to Kenosha...when I arrived I had a problem with the car running.it started up and sound like it was running on 3 cylinders......I played around with a couple things ended up going from Battery 12volt to my coil 12 plus side.....ran good after that! after the weekend took the car home played around with it,Decide just to pick up a new reproduction harness by M&H.(matched up perfectly)
 Finished up just the other day and turn it over........ right back to running like crap......jump the coil
runs great......is this have anything to do with the  resistor wire to the MSD #8523 ready to run?
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2015 at 11:06am
Needs full 12 volts to module
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2015 at 12:27pm
On my AMX 390,  I used the resistor wire to drive a 12V relay to provide a solid 12V battery power to the MSD ready to run.

Edited by DesertAMX - Jun/29/2015 at 12:30pm
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by DesertAMX DesertAMX wrote:

On my AMX 390,  I used the resistor wire to drive a 12V relay to provide a solid 12V battery power to the MSD ready to run.

Same here
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Trans Canada View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trans Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2015 at 8:15am
Okay....so the resistor wire to trigger the coil of relay.......then the switch part to send a full 12 volts to from the battery to the coil +
well will do that to night!...........please if I'm wrong above please let me know but this makes sense

Thanks
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trans Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 12:47pm
Okay I add the relay.....Yellow (RES)wire  to the relay coil to trigger it ....then 12 volt from the battery to the M.S.D   coil +
 car now starts great......now the fun part....... turn the car off....still runs like you never turn it off.....so I pull the wire off battery plus or feed to the coil thru the relay ....car shuts down.
at this point took my meter and did a ring test or continuity test .....switch works perfect when you turn the key on and off...........am I getting a back feed thats the only thing that I can think of thats hold relay
I do have a glow on my alternator indicator light on the dash.....Alternator is a (Motorola)
I was planning on bring the car to Cleveland but at this point the Gremlin X... Is  going to get the call!

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 4:19pm
Just a guess but sounds like the relay is not wired right.

Maybe post up what wire you have on what number post of the relay.
Should have 4 wires.
Tiger wire (yellow)
Ground wire
12 volt wire
power wire to MSD
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
69AMX364 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69AMX364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 4:25pm
If you are use the multi-spark your alternator is back feeding the ignition. When I hooked up the electric choke to that circuit it would turn off with the key. My guess is enough of a draw to stop the back feed.
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 6:00pm
You have to use the diode that came with the MSD and put it in line with the alt charge light.There is enough juice from that circuit to make it keep running. Look at the MSD wiring charts.

Look here

http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3296

Edited by needafasterAMX - Jul/02/2015 at 6:06pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trans Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 12:43pm
Okay I will put the Diode in tonight .... Early question was how I had it wired
 Relay #85 Ground
          #86 Yellow from my key switch
          #30   12volt from the battery
          #87 to Blaster coil +

BOSCH RELAY

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic