TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 12:01pm
You should have no problems with a NWC behind the six, unless you've REALLY built it up anyway. Just a mild cam and 4V? I wouldn't speed shift it, but you should be fine with normal driving, even a bit aggressive...
Frank Swygert
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 12:43pm
I did a search on T5 swaps but couldn't find anything here . I hope this helps someone else as much as it has me .
i ordered the new input shaft. less than $100.00 CAD. shipped .
and the 232 will be built up some . my old one put out 235 hp @ 5200 rpm . this should be a little better with newer tech . maybe .. we'll see when it's done .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 4:45pm
The Chevy T-5 is commonly used for a lot of applications, like anything, if you go about abusing it the thing will break. There is no reason not to use one if you can get it on your engine. WC or not, it is up to the driver to keep it from breaking. The only reason the Ford was proved popular to use for the AMC engine is that it happened to be able to bolt on to an AMC V8 (or a late I-6) using a minimum number of parts.
To come down to it, the WC Ford T5 is weaker than a T-10 so technically there is no good reason to use it other than it fits easily.
I have had one installed on my 390 Javelin now for about 25 years and 50,000 miles and have not broken it yet, but I have made it a point not to break it. I also have one from a Merkur which used the Turbo 4 cylinder Ford T-Bird motor and transmission and enough parts to put it on an AMC engine. The Chevy transmission is easy to find and easy to get parts for and there is no reason not to install one if you can. You just have to decide what it is you want to do with it. If you want to beat it to death, contemplate building a 904 instead, a late 904 with a lock up torque converter and put in a 2200 rpm stall converter.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2015 at 7:03am
 http://www.tbtrans.com/t5_transmission.htm#pic
I contacted these guys. a wealth of Knowledge they are more than willing to share . When I told them what I had and what I wanted to do . they told me what I would need to replace and what I did not . also what to look for before I bought any thing to make sure I was getting the right parts .
As Uncljohn said " it's up to the driver to not break things" . If I was going to pound on this car i would be running a T10.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2015 at 3:24pm
My stock never been apart AMC NWC T5 has been in there for about 15 years now.
I bought a spare to build and have almost everything I need to do the Z spec WC trans. Been waiting on the stock AMC trans to break. I don't abuse it, so it doesn't break.

I've pulled many a hard first gear launches with the 4.0L and 3:31 twingrip and I watch the shift to 2nd. Never even raked the gears shifting it. It has 255/60/15"s on it, so tire spin is minimal too. yes it is indeed a 4.1 1st gear and 3:31's...It's what I had at the time!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2015 at 7:08am
picked up a second one on Sunday . NWC . this will go behind the 6 . a friend has a WC behind his 360 and has had no trouble with it . (gave me the NWC) . so now the first will move to the Hornet. as it is a WC t5 .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic