TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cam selection/head flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by amc67rogue amc67rogue wrote:

Pontiac engines all used cams with longer EX. duration to help the poor flowing ex. ports. The 340 Mopar had 8 Deg. more ex. duration with more lift for the same reason.

Even the ram Air 2 and 4?

Easily the biggest wedge head exhausts in the business.

Gremlin Dreams
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 6:04pm
the opening may be big. but the hall to the doorway is almost a U-turn...  Cry
Ronnie Kaplan Engineering :)
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Originally posted by amc67rogue amc67rogue wrote:

Pontiac engines all used cams with longer EX. duration to help the poor flowing ex. ports. The 340 Mopar had 8 Deg. more ex. duration with more lift for the same reason.

Even the ram Air 2 and 4?

Easily the biggest wedge head exhausts in the business.

YES ALL , Look at the specs at Dallas Area Pontiac Association
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
imagechanger View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imagechanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2015 at 7:23pm
Pontiacs are actually intake flow limited at higher valve lifts. They used 2.11" intake valves with 30 degree seats to produce great low lift flow. That's why they made superior torque over a broad range but flow stalled at over .450" or so. RAIV heads had taller intake ports and flowed better at high lifts. RAII heads used the standard intake port with the better flowing round exhaust ports. Both used the same 231/240 @. .050" cam, the IV had 1.65 rockers and 517" lift compared to 1.5 rockers & .470 for the II. A really good street cam in a 455. I've found it to be a bit soft in 400's until it's over 3000 RPM.

Nobody runs that stuff anymore since there are 4 different aluminum heads out that flow better than any factory head out of the box and WAY more when ported. I knew all this useless Pontiac knowledge would come handy some day.

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2015 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by imagechanger imagechanger wrote:

Pontiacs are actually intake flow limited at higher valve lifts. They used 2.11" intake valves with 30 degree seats to produce great low lift flow. That's why they made superior torque over a broad range but flow stalled at over .450" or so. RAIV heads had taller intake ports and flowed better at high lifts. RAII heads used the standard intake port with the better flowing round exhaust ports. Both used the same 231/240 @. .050" cam, the IV had 1.65 rockers and 517" lift compared to 1.5 rockers & .470 for the II. A really good street cam in a 455. I've found it to be a bit soft in 400's until it's over 3000 RPM.

Nobody runs that stuff anymore since there are 4 different aluminum heads out that flow better than any factory head out of the box and WAY more when ported. I knew all this useless Pontiac knowledge would come handy some day.

I did some Pontiac time about 30 years ago. Had a 4 speed RA III 70 T/A, a Brewster Green, 4 speed 73 SD 455 T/A, a 73 Formula SD 455-4 speed, and a new 79 T/A 6.6 10th anniversary . Worth a fortune now.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2015 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by imagechanger imagechanger wrote:

Yeah, you played with those a little bit.... Have you had the old Girl out lately, Tom? Street nights are starting to get pretty good at Quaker. Have you been out there this year?
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imagechanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2015 at 5:55pm
73 SD TA is one of my bucket list cars.

Have been to Thompson this year not Quaker though. They bounced me when I started going under 11.50 without a rollbar. Actually a guy I knocked out of eliminations protested me.

Have gone 11.0's at Thompson without getting hassled... Yet
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imagechanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2015 at 6:03pm
73 SD TA is one of my bucket list cars.

Have been to Thompson this year not Quaker though. They bounced me when I started going under 11.50 without a rollbar. Actually a guy I knocked out of eliminations protested me.

Have gone 11.0's at Thompson without getting hassled... Yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic