TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Manual drums question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2015 at 1:18pm

I usually lube the bleed nipple days prior and even then you can have that problem. When you were doing the one person bleeding, you mention that all you got was some dirty brake fluid, that is what you are going to get in the bottle, that’s normal. It’s really hard to tell if you are still pushing a lot of air out with the one person method because most of your visual would be when you are depressing the pedal and of course you can’t see the bottle at that time, make sure your tube is always submerged or you are just sucking air back in when you let off the pedal.

This is why the two person method is best, someone can see what’s happening and they can open and close the nipple as necessary. Again if you didn’t get a good bench bleed then you may at some point need to try to bleed the master. You can do this with two people while the master is on the car, you would need to crack open the break line fitting at the master, just barley crack it open, have someone slowly depress the pedal and hold, then tighten the fitting back before the pedal is released. Be sure you have some towels or something under. Try tapping on the master with something like a wrench randomly to help break up the air bubbles.

Be patient, bleeding can take time and even after much time and bleeding and a couple bottles of fluid, you can still have some air but you should be able to get enough out to see a major improvement. Was your new master you bought a rebuilt? I have bought a many of rebuilt parts like that and turned out they were just bad. This recently happened with a vacuum booster, installed a rebuild one, had the same problem as before and turned out the dang thing was just bad, its happened with master cylinders too, good luck.

lunny24 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lunny24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2015 at 9:59am
Thanks guys.  I'm going to try the two man method today and can hopefully get a better visual of air:fluid. I was using a six point box end wrench as well but just no luck with that. I also thought I bench bled the master fairly well before putting it on but it is a rebuild so maybe it is one of the "lemons."  I'll give er a try this morning and see what I can get.
lunny24 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lunny24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 8:21am
Thought I'd follow up/close-out this thread.  I tried a bunch of methods to get the stripped bleeder valve out with no luck.  Ended up pulling the wheel cylinder out and placing it in a vice to try and get it unstuck...no luck.  So I ended up buying a new wheel cylinder (which, for $10 I should have done long ago in this process) :)  These bleeder valves are sensitive.  I ended up replacing another one with a brand new one that I hand tightened just to get in there and THAT ended up getting stuck.  Fortunately, I learn from my mistakes and ended up getting it out without a whole heck of a lot of trouble.  It took all day, but I ended up getting the system bled and the brakes work.  Still takes quite a bit of pressure to stop but like I said earlier...I've never driven manual drum brakes so I believe they are what they should be.  MUCH better than they were.  Thanks everyone for the help!
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 9:31pm
If the brakes on both axles are working and the pedal height feels about right and is consistent, you've got about what you are going to get.

When people see my manual drum brakes on my 67 Ambassador they ask "How do you stop?" I tell them: "Stopping takes a commitment."

Seriously, once you get calibrated from the ease of boosted brakes back to the days of manual drums, you'll have no problem. I get in my Ambassador and it just feel normal now that I've driven it a goof bit.

Good luck and enjoy,
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2015 at 9:11am
Word regarding hydraulics: the fluid will find the weakest point and escape. As a general rule, always replace both wheel cylinders in a single system. You brakes are TWO systems, front and rear are independent obviously. So if you replace ONE front wheel cylinder, the other is the weakest link. That's why you replace both. On calipers, the same is true but it's rare that they leak. Instead they will often move at different rates if only one is replaced. FYI, this was a question on the ASE brake certification exam 30 years ago.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
toms68amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toms68amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2015 at 10:03am
My 68. Amx did the same thing get some help and do it right if you can't get the bleeder value lose then brake the lines free I would open all the lines up or disconnect them let it gravity drain over night to get all that old fuild out blow the lines out with air try new fuild if it still looks dirty then inspect you brakes each drum I had to replace every thing lines etc my car sit for a long time and brakes with attack moisture and rust over time if you like pm me or just call 270-899-0229 if I can help am tom
new to the amx world always been a chevy guy always had a 1970 ss monte carlo but love this little 68 amx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic