TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 343 typhoon fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derangedfords90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 343 typhoon fuel pump
    Posted: May/22/2015 at 2:01pm
I just bought this 1967 Ambassador and the bowl is missing of the bottom of the fuel pump.  I am trying to locate one online that is new/old stock but can't seem to find any pictures to see what it is supposed to look like and neither am I able to find any that are for sale.  No parts stores or anything list the fuel pump.  I don't know what I am looking for on ebay so please someone point me in the correct direction.  Thanks!  
Derangedfords90 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derangedfords90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 2:03pm
Oh, and as the listing says I am fairly certain it is the 343 typhoon.  The air cleaner says so, and it is a 4 barrel carter carb.  Again, thanks!
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 3:07pm
Kennedy shows one.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derangedfords90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 4:17pm
Can you send me a link? Sorry I'm new to amcs
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 5:43pm
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 10:44pm
For a decent line drawing, check the parts list. if you don't already have it, the Technical Service Manual and the Parts List are of very high value. I got mine as a CD and could not live without them.

Also, you'll find that there are two fuel pumps for that year. One is for vacuum wipers while the other if for electric wipers. The vacuum version is a bit harder to find. As I have the vacuum wipers, I got mine rebuilt and it's worked fine ever since.

There is also a filter in the metal bowl in the fuel pump. I find that NAPA along with the AMC suppliers stock that.

BTW, I too have a 67 Ambassador with the 343 4bbl V8. I'm using the original block, gear box etc. It is pretty much stock. It's our "traveling car." We've really enjoyed several long trips with it. We've really enjoyed ours. 'Hope you enjoy yours too.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 5:59pm
FOr what it's worth the fuel bowl is metal and is the same between both pumps. I believe the same pumps were used up to the 1968 model year.
There's the filter cartridge and there's a spring inside as well.
You could also use a 69 and up pump and use an in line filter.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derangedfords90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 7:16pm
Thank you for the info. Bruce, I got mine with 69k, it has been sitting for years. All factory original. I also plan to use it as my traveller.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic