TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 258 Head Gasket replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gird123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2015 at 5:41pm
19 inch mechanical fan.  Had to cut out some of the hoop. I will test it out and report back if this fixed it.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2015 at 6:22pm
without a shroud around it, that fan still may not do the job.

And with this being a off road vehicle, I don't think I'd be comfortable with the fan being that close to the radiator.
You get a lot of chassis twist, and motor movement off road.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
gird123 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gird123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2015 at 7:30pm
I defiantly need a fan shroud.  It is about 3" from the radiator to the fan.  Just took it for a 40 min drive and it did not over heat!!!!!!! before it would over heat in 5 to 10 min and i would have to stop.  and it is 85 degree here.
gird123 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gird123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2015 at 11:22pm
even with out a fan shroud it is completely fix.  I will do a shroud.  

dropbear68 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropbear68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2015 at 5:39am
Originally posted by gird123 gird123 wrote:

I have a 1974 amc 258 that runs great.  Bought January 29, 2015. drove it a little while the day time temps were in the 50s just a little and did not notice any over heating temps hit 70 and the temp quickly jumps to 230.

Thought it was the fan shroud (had newer radiator when bought) very pourly done.  So i pulled the radiator and fixed the shroud.  Still over heats.

replaced the leaky tstat housing and new thermostat.
new water pump(old one looks pretty new)

Ive have been down this track before with a 258 I had that was a bit quirky, if you have the thermostatic fan hub on the engine fan check that it hasnt siezed or has gone real stiff , it should spin freely but with reasonable friction, I have done several head gaskets on these donks over the years, I always have the head skimmed regardless, new head bolts regardless and I use lots and lots of copper spray on both sides of the head gasket, bubbles in the radiator cap neck is head gasket, its compression leaking into the cooling system, no easy fix, however my last cherokee failed me out in the bush I had no option and drove her 7 kilometers bone dry and this is testament to these engines, it got me to a servo station where I filled the system after jerrying up a hose that had blown, it eventually decided to fill the radiator with oil, I had the head gasket done but it did it again, I summised the head had cracks somewhere so I pulled a fairly common Aussie repair and that was to stick a bottle of liquid laundry soap into the radiator this dissolved the oil I flused it out and fill with clean water then added two bottles of a product called chemi weld into it, that motor was still going 3 years later when the T-5 box finally hand grenaded, there may be a similar product available in the USA.
I rented a block tester and it did not turn yellow.  So i drained the antifreeze that was 40/60 and just water bubbles like crazy.

So I have decided to pull the head.  In two weeks i will have it tested.

engine

all the plugs look clean 6 to 1

dropbear68 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropbear68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2015 at 5:47am
Just had a look at the rest of the pics re your issues, fan shrouds do work, pobably the easiest way for you if worried about punching the fan through the radiator is remove the fan blade and fits the biggest after market thermo fan u can find onto it with a shroud try get the shroud as close to the engine as you can without fouling, those fixed fans are dung, the thermostatic fan clutches are great but u dont have the room for one, fit a temperature controller for the fan and change your thermostat and hoses, slightest bit of crunch when u squeeze a cold hose and piss em off, asking for a failure, I know you guys have some pretty arid country you flog these jeeps around in ,  the Australian Army has a saying its called the 6 Ps, prior preparation planning prevents piss poor performance
gird123 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gird123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 4:37pm

Made a fan shroud that works great.  Did a 9 hour drive 4 at about 55 which is top speed and 5 at a walk.  Never got over 195 and it was 80 degrees out.  Works awesome.

Thank you for all your help.  I learned a lot about my 258.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic