TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

drums vs disc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 8:40am
Since I used a truck 5.7 hemi in my Javelin I decided to set it up to tow my car trailer or even flat tow my 77 AMX to shows so good brakes were required. The trailer already has brakes but flat towing another car would not provide the extra braking needed though they do make a setup to apply brakes on a towed vehicle for the motor home crowd. The faster your car is, the better your brakes need to be. If you only cruise around in light traffic than drums might be fine but I always look at it as the fact that I can only drive one car at a time and I can not predict what that other distracted driver is doing. It's also the reason I added a third hi mounted brake light in my roof spoiler so that other guy can tell when I stop so they don't hit me.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 8:42am
There are 2-3 four piston conversions for high performance/aggressive driving that would also be great on a cruiser/daily driver. You CAN have too much braking power, don't really want to lock the tires up easily, but anything without anti-lock brakes takes a bit more skill to drive, so you can learn your car. Richard isn't the only one to use Mustang brakes -- one guy put older four piston Mustang brakes on a 62 Classic.  I don't think he needed the large wheels as rotors were still around 11", don't recall what year.   Aerospace Components would be my choice, but Wilwood makes a kit for AMC now also. Neither make kits for older cars, just Javelin and AMX IIRC, but those kits will work on all AMCs back to 1952. Might have to do some spacing, but will bolt on all.
Frank Swygert
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 9:56am
It all depends.

If you have never driven anything but power disc brakes, you will be convinced a manual drum brake car has no brakes. They will feel different, but they are also very good at stopping cars. If you learned to drive with drums, you will be comfortable with them, even in city traffic and even in a heavy downpour....or snow. They do behave differently when wet - and as has been said, you just let them drag a bit to dry them off - or tap them a couple of times. When they get hot, you will feel them get sticky - that's why using low gear is needed - It drives me NUTS to be behind a modern car going down a curvy mountain road and see brake lights all the way down - DOWN SHIFT, I mumble. Lots of times people have trouble with drum brakes because they assume they behave like disc...which they do not.

I am spoiled with my Rambler's brakes - they are the heavy duty versions, and they do stop her pretty darned well. Really, they are comparable to our newer power disc cars. In an emergency stop, they are more dramatic. She will nose down, shimmy a bit and leave a trail of smoke and rubber on the road (a reverse burn out), and the person who was right in front of me will have a surprised look on their face....but it's all good.

Your anti-lock device is your foot - when you feel it lock up, take your foot off and reapply.

The only time I had to stomp on brakes (and manual drums will make you stomp), to keep from killing someone (a kid on a bike who cut right in front of me), was in my Rambler - with manual drums. I didn't hit the kid.

Bottom line - choose what you are comfortable with.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 10:10am
Couple of thougts:

-If your car won't lock up the brakes, they need fixing or changing. I will guess fixing because every car I know of has been able to lock up since model T's. People nowadays seem to want to replace rather than fix anything.
-No matter what your brakes are, once the tires are locked up it does not matter if they are 6 piston 13" discs, it is all about tires now!
-I also hate it when idiots ride the brakes all the way down a hill!! It is not about the fade, it is about the fact that if your brake lights are on for five miles it is a bit hard for those of us behind you to get any warning when you suddenly increase pressure and it slows down suddenly. 

Short answer, they feel differently, but drums do stop cars. If you don't like the feel, get discs. Just don't expect that they will be suddenly world beating, unless you are rally driving it.

PS: I have two cars and one has manual drums and the other power discs. Both stop fine. 
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 12:22pm
I converted my '70 Newport from drums to disks and am glad I did. That car was SCARY in a panic stop situation. I converted the Gremlin from drums to disks - and stayed manual, no problem on that little car - because disks are simply better and safer. That was why they were mandated by the Federal Government for all cars sold in the US from 1975 to the present day.

However, if you ever look, you will see that big semis and buses still use drums to this day. I have always found that odd.   
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic