TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'63 Rambler Classic column shifter stuck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gidaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '63 Rambler Classic column shifter stuck
    Posted: May/07/2015 at 7:12pm
I have a '63 Rambler Classic 196ohv with engine redone and modern disc brakes and three-on-tree.

the column shifter for the 3spd. got "stuck" in gear and can't move lever anymore. Nothing is wrong with clutch or transmission though. To get car parked I had to manually move linkages to trans under the hood. I do have a TSM for this car but find the directions on troubleshooting what I assume is a shifting linkage problem, lacking Confused

I am thinking an adjustable rod or bushing inside the steering column could be a problem but have never removed a steering wheel before or torn into a column. Is this a common thing or is there a place to start troubleshooting? Any ideas?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 7:27pm
There are adequate instructions in the TSM for adjusting the shifter (at least in my opinion).  You need a drill bit (3/8-in diameter I think) Place the shift linkage in neutral.  Check the transmission to make sure both shift levers are firmly in neutral.  Place that pin (drill bit) through the alignment holes betwee the arms on the shifter.  At that point you want to adjust the trunnions on the shifter rods (on the column under the hood)  so that the ends of the shift rods pass through the holes in the shifter arm bushings without any resistance.  That is your adjusted neutral position. If the column shifter is healthy, you should get clean shifts.  However, there is a spacer between the shifter arms on the column that can wear, the the "pin" on the upper (I think) shifter arm can wear, making it more difficult to get clean shifts at least when you rush the shift.  Also, there is a bushing at the bottom of the column that you can rotate to take the slack out of the column and perhaps get cleaner shifts.  Worn or missing bushings on the shift arms (on the column) of the shift levers (on the transmission) can cause a lot of grief too.
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
gidaeon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gidaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 7:32pm
Thanks for reply. I will review TSM again (I'm no mechanic but try) maybe I'm missing a page as it didn't even talk about pulling steering wheel or how.

I can't manually get the shifter in neutral though its truly stuck in reverse position. I could move the linkages to trans to put in neutral is all.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 12:02pm
Disconnect the shift rods from the transmision shift levers at the transmission. You will need to get under the car to do this so make sure the car is safely supported on jack stands and the rear wheels are chocked. The bare shift levers can then be moved to the central (neutral) position. The transmission will be in nuetral. You should the have little difficulty in moving the column shifter to neutral. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 9:54pm
I've never had a T-96 (the manual trans you have) jam in reverse, only in a forward gear. As others have said, pull the shift rods off the trans then put the levers in neutral. It's usually the shifter itself that jams, not the trans. If it's in reverse now (the rear lever is first and reverse, front second and third -- IIRC) then the other lever has to be in the neutral position. Reverse should have the lever forward of neutral, first is to the rear.  So push the lever to the rear once you have the rod off.

The shifter gets loose in the column, not just out of alignment. I don't think the TSM says anything about tightening the shifter. Lock the levers in neutral with the drill bit. If you look at the lower end of the column tube you will find either two or three small screws holding the end to the tube. The screws are in angled slotted holes. Feel around it and find all the screws, then loosen them. The end piece will twist in the slots. You want to move it toward the firewall to tighten the shifter action.

Sometimes it won't tighten enough on a 50+ year old car. The piece the screws go into is plastic, and gets brittle. That piece also holds a bearing for the steering shaft. If the slots won't tighten it enough (a distinct possibility!) you can remove the screws and push the plastic piece up where it needs to be, then drill small holes and insert the screws again. That doesn't always work with the brittle plastic. I've made a new end piece from wood before and that works fine. You need to pull the column to do that though, and will likely need to pull the column to try new screw holes in the original plastic piece as well.

Your only other option is to try using a universal three speed floor shifter. That will work, but may not clear the bench seat. You will have to make or modify the mount bracket also, as there never was one made for the T-96. The shifter will work fine, it's the mounting bracket that isn't just a bolt-on.
Frank Swygert
gidaeon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gidaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 11:18pm
Much thanks gentlemen. I did get it squared away following advice shared here. After disconnecting linkages at trans I was was able to find the the right "combination" to have movement in all gears again. I'm still a little puzzled at how this happened in the first place unless column play allowed Rev-1st to not be in neutral.

Being as old as it is, the column shift is probably not as tight as factory but at least it works now!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 10:29am
That's exactly what happens -- one lever isn't completely in neutral when the other tries to move, resulting in a jammed shifter. The shift mechanism jams, not the transmission itself. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic