TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 Starter/Flywheel problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 6:45pm
there are two flywheels that bolt onto the pre-1972 AMC sixes, small and large. the small one (Nash lineage, shared with 195.2 and pre-unification sixes) is approx. 12.5" across the teeth. the big one is nearly 14" across the teeth. i know less about these, and i'm fairly sure the ones i have are pre-1972 but i don't really know.

the small one is small! the big one absolutely will not fit inside the early six bell.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 8:51pm
I have torque converters in my garage right now, one originally from a 196 car and another from a 232 car. Both look the same with the exception of the ring gear that is welded on. The 232 ring gear has an extra 1/2" in diameter. The bell housings are also different. Using a 196 ring and bell on a 232 means there is not enough clearance to mount the starter. You could have a bell from a 232 and a T/C from a 196 and have the problem described. The starter teeth would not engage the teeth on the ring gear.
cdog View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2024 at 7:01pm
I have a 1970 Scout with a 232 AMC 3.8L. Do you know what size flywheel would work on it? 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2024 at 7:15pm
I believe the ring gear would measure 13" across the teeth. At least that is the case with 66 and 67 232's with automatic transmissions. I suppose the manual flywheel would be the same.

Edit: If you find one that is only 12 1/2" across it would come from a 196 engine.

Edit: From 66 to 67 there was a change in spline count when they went to the electric kick down. More changes up to 1970 are possible.

Edited by vinny - Jan/25/2024 at 7:26pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2024 at 5:36pm
I've got photos of all three early six cylinder flywheels, here

Scroll down a bit. It's a page filled with notes, not well organized. Some measurements there. I still have these and could measure for you if you want.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2024 at 8:55pm
From post #1 you are dealing with an automatic, correct? You have a 232 bell housing which is good. You need to find a 232 torque converter to fit your auto or cut the ring gear off yours and weld on a 232 ring gear. At least that's my take on what I am reading here.

If you are dealing with a manual transmission possibly you could change ring gears on the flywheel but I am just guessing on that.

Edited by vinny - Jan/26/2024 at 8:59pm
cdog View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2024 at 9:02pm
Hi Vinny. It’s an International Scout with a Manual 3spd T90c transmission soon to be reconnected to the original 232 AMC 3.8L engine. When I got it the engine was removed and the transmission still installed. 

I am now on the search for everything between the end of the engine’s crankshaft and the bell housing: backing plate, flywheel, clutch disk and clutch cover. 

I can’t test the engine till I get a new flywheel and want to make sure it’s the correct weight and diameter to fit inside my existing bell housing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic