TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

dead battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 2:36am
What happened here is that when a battery gets low but still enough to barely crank it will cause the contacts in the solenoid to weld together. This welding can also be caused by old rotten battery cables/terminals.

This happened to my maverick, Concord, Eagle and Javelin.

This can cause the engine/trans to need to come out to replace the ring gear/flywheel/flexplate. The last vehicle I saw that needed this repair was a GMC 454 motor home last year. That was a very pricey bill. This was caused by the crappy old rotten battery cables. He laughed when I tried to explain what caused it. Then it happened again a week later. Out came the trans again for a new flex plate and starter again.

Edited by maximus7001 - Apr/25/2015 at 2:42am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 3:34am
Yes tried to explain to the Mrs. in her than 1998 Honda CRV. It  was oh 2010 or so and I said to her had she ever replaced the battery, she said no, why. I said because due to the markings I could tell she had the original 12 year old battery in the car. I was F'n amazed! I couldn't believe her good fortune and informed her she should have replaced this when she bought the car in 2004. As it is she does know everything and figured it would last till she married and some guy (me) would replace it for her. Tried to teach her basics, tire change, oil, speed dial to AAA that one got her attention. Told her if you don't do those things, you will need AAA or a good friend to drive hours with a smile and gas or battery @230 in the morning on highway 26 going to Colfax, or someother God forsaken stretch of tarmac.
She's paid for got to keep her, the car I mean...LOL

Mark
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 5:48pm
My wife has the habit of turning her radio on during lunch at work and forgetting the keys in the ACC position (hradlights come on too). 4 times I've had to "rescue the princess" and surprisingly, the battery in the car ('12 Kia Soul) has gone from dead flat to fully charged at least that many times. Last time she said she just locked the keys inside. I went with spare key, bumped the door open switch and nada. No light blinks or anything. The only time I can ever remember NOT having jumper cables or my 20 year old Prestone Jumpit pack. (it still has enough to start the Kia from stone cold dead. I use it to charge my phone and run the radio/led lights at my cabin where it solar charges. Run through a mechanical timed switch)
will333 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 10:25pm
HA! The story continues...now the starter seems to work intermittently. Turn the key, get sort of a spinning sound, but only from the starter. Definitely not turning the flywheel. Try again, and the car starts right up. So I guess this battery has been doing a number on all the components of the system. New starter is next on my list.
1968 AMX 390 Automatic
Turbo Silver outside,
red on the inside
"The Orbiter"

A Scott Campbell restoration
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 5:25pm
Sounds like the drive end/clutch is bad or the flywheel teeth are falling out.
will333 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 5:57pm
I'm gonna go with the starter. The flywheel was last seen a couple years ago and at the most, 500 miles ago, and was just fine.
1968 AMX 390 Automatic
Turbo Silver outside,
red on the inside
"The Orbiter"

A Scott Campbell restoration
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 9:17pm
Sounds like the starter drive (Bendix) is hanging up or has failed.I agree, not likely the ring gear otherwise you would hear a horrible grinding / screeching noise when the starter engages. It's even possible that the Bendix is rusty/sticking or the adjustment is off.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic