TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Residual Location ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Residual Location ?
    Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 8:09am
I just talked to Wildwood and they would like to know the location of the residual. They said it could be in the master cylinder and after it is removed it might be possible to use the manual master cylinder that is on the car. They would also like to know what the dia. of the single piston front caliper for the spirit conversion is. I will have to go to the auto parts store and see what I can find out.
I told them I replaced the block that was closest to the rear end already with the wildwood portioning valve. So IMO there could only have been 3 places for the residual to be 1) I already eliminated it with the portioning valve when I replaced the block near the rear end. 2) It could be the block which is on the fire wall. 3) The location of the residual is in the Master Cylinder.

I'am hoping it is  or 3 since I want to order the wildwood master cylinder to make sure we have the right size.

If anyone already knows the piston size for the Spirit caliper and the location of the residual I would greatly appreciate the information.
JTSLLC1
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 8:25am
The residual check valve is typically in the outlet ports of drum brake master cylinders. 
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 8:39am
Thanks....

I will take a look tonight...
JTSLLC1
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 1:18pm
You can remove the old one with a screw into the brass seat then using a claw hammer to pull the seat out. It should shake out after that.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 1:43pm
Don't be looking for some obvious "valve". It's a tiny disc, behind the 'seat' in the outlet ports of the master cylinder (and you'd only remove the one for the front brake lines), like Carnuck mentioned above.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 5:20pm
I guess I should mention I'am adding rear dis brakes... I did the front conversion to single piston  16 years ago. I'am adding wildwood brakes to the rear. So I'am assuming I should be removing the residual on the rear but also check to see if there is  still one in for the front brakes on the manual master cylinder just to double check what was installed 16 years ago. NAPA printed out the piston size for the caliper . Now I need to check the peddle ratio and write down the part number for the rear calipers. Since the residual is located in the master cylinder port it might be best to give all the info and order the right master from wildwood since the rear seems to have a smaller capacity for brake fluid.

Thanks for all the helpThumbs Up
JTSLLC1
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 9:17pm
If you had a drum brake residual valve in the front brake outlet your disc brakes would be dragging a bit all the time -- you'd know, the pads wouldn't last long!

77-83 AMC disc brakes calipers have 2.6" pistons except for 77-78 Matador, which used a 3.1" piston caliper. MC diameter for the 2.6" caliper is 1" (last few years of Eagles used a 0.98" or something close... actually a metric size I don't remember), 1.125" for the 3.1" caliper.
Frank Swygert
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2015 at 2:27pm
Excellent information... 

I  just talked to Wildwood they did the Math and everything looks fine..The front is 10.64 and the rear is 9.6 ... I could actually increase to the matador size piston of 3.1 but I would have to see what  is involved to bolt the caliper on.

I asked about the size of the master and they said for me to check the piston size. They prefer a 1 " piston. So I will go to Napa and see what they say.... 

So from what he said if the manual master does have a 1" piston just remove the residual and run them... 

Thanks for the help...

JTSLLC1
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2015 at 7:34am
There's no real reason to go to the 3.1" calipers. They require a larger MC, and use a thicker rotor. While it can be argued that the thicker rotor dissipates heat quicker (it does), the thiner 79-83 small car rotor has proven more than adequate. The thicker rotors for the 3.1 calipers are expensive and hard to find. APD lists them for $169, the 79-83 small car rotors are listed at $89 (I6 and V8).
Frank Swygert
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

There's no real reason to go to the 3.1" calipers. They require a larger MC, and use a thicker rotor. While it can be argued that the thicker rotor dissipates heat quicker (it does), the thiner 79-83 small car rotor has proven more than adequate. The thicker rotors for the 3.1 calipers are expensive and hard to find. APD lists them for $169, the 79-83 small car rotors are listed at $89 (I6 and V8).

Thanks for the info....

I have decided to run what we have ....

The Manual master has a .944 piston so I will pull the residual out leave the smaller spirit calipers on adjust the valve accordingly to the rear disc brakes and see how the brakes feel and go  from there...

I did check Napa and I can still get the calipers and the Master cylinder for the spirit.. I did not check for the Matador...
JTSLLC1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic