TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Entry for Engine Masters 2015?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2015 at 11:10am
I have a de-stroked (3.40") 1970 390 crank I wouldn't mind selling to someone.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 12:06pm
The 2015 results are in for the spec smallblock EMC.

There were only 4 (!) competitors, a Cleveland Ford (Kasse) 1st, a Windsor Ford (Malik) 2nd, a Buick 3rd I think and a sbc last.

Well - I was wrong on lots of competitors.

Did decent on the power prediction, the winner was 576 hp. max torque was a little lower than expected at "only" 553 ft lbs.

Mildly surprised at the low entry's and really not that impressive competition. I think the really late rules package made it really tough to compete. Would have loved the opportunity - really think an AMC could have done well. My street Rambler engine is close (but not close enough) to the rules package, and factored to the rules would have been more than competitive.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 5:19am
Rules will change since that "competition" is all about advertising.
4 competitors is little better than just one........

In this day of new cars with 600hp the results are pretty lame.
Gremlin Dreams
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 5:57am
To me the rules still look they are made to exclude AMC from the contest . with the right head /intake cam etc I'm sure a stock block 360 would run those #'s over . especially the torque...

Just my thoughts on the whole thing .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
Spin Doctor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 8:36am
I saw the rules speced an Edelbrock head. Well what if you get creative. As long as the "no welding or grinding only applies to the ports (?)" Why not use a Buick head (same bore centers). In fact it s the only competition v8 with the same bore centers
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

The 2015 results are in for the spec smallblock EMC.

There were only 4 (!) competitors, a Cleveland Ford (Kasse) 1st, a Windsor Ford (Malik) 2nd, a Buick 3rd I think and a sbc last.

Well - I was wrong on lots of competitors.

Did decent on the power prediction, the winner was 576 hp. max torque was a little lower than expected at "only" 553 ft lbs.

Mildly surprised at the low entry's and really not that impressive competition. I think the really late rules package made it really tough to compete. Would have loved the opportunity - really think an AMC could have done well. My street Rambler engine is close (but not close enough) to the rules package, and factored to the rules would have been more than competitive.

The feedback I got from Lynn Petersen was that they disallowed his attempt to use a 360 block and the raw crank forging from Jimtool. I wasn't there, so can only accept his answer that they didn't want an entry other than the "programmed" ones upsetting the results. You were there before, Ken, would a Plymouth, Olds, Pontiac, or AMC entry blow the marketing sales for them? Perhaps it's time for an "orphan" series?

Steve
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 11:12am
Events Hot Rod Chevys are Way Behind on the Dyno During Spec Small-Block Competition at 2015 AMSOIL Engine Masters Challenge Thom Taylor October 6, 2015

The Engine Masters Challenge Is Brought to you By AMSOIL Read More

Chevys are Way Behind on the Dyno During Spec Small-Block Competition at 2015 AMSOIL Engine Masters Challenge

Chevys are Way Behind on the Dyno During Spec Small-Block Competition at 2015 AMSOIL Engine Masters Challenge    Really who woulda guessed .... Edelbrock $15,000 tuned 355 runs 11.44 in a 70 hornet ..... $2000 AMC360 Eagle runs 11.53 ... Home town news ...
If you notice it was geared towards old Ford and new Dodge
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 12:21pm
This years rules package I think really did discriminate against a SBC. The 4" stroke would be a real tough fit and a negative, along with the 23 degree heads. SBC's have never been real killer cause of that. The Ford stuff would be better as has been proven. I think the rules actually suited something like a Pontiac or a Buick and one of those could have been very good.

But a Cleveland Ford really does have some advantages with rules like these, especially with someone like Kasse building it.

I really don't think there is a bias against weird, but I'm not there so I really don't know. When I entered there was no problems for me getting in, and there were lots of entries back then, but that was also different management and a long time ago. Maybe I wrote a better line of BS on the entry form.

Really don't see how an AMC would have been a problem getting in, just a really expensive build with no advantage for the big money spent. You would have to have a good argument, but the K1 crank is available to the public.

My Edelbrock head street engine pulled 567 hp and 560 ft-lb at 426 inches and 10.5 compression. This engine is relatively trick, and somewhat like an EMC engine is. If you scaled back 11 inches, added some compression and cam I know it would have been real competitive. The heads are "right" for the EMC. Of course dealing with an air gap intake would have been a real problem as those are simply too small a CSA. Would have taken something like extrude honing.

But the short block would have cost an extra 3K, and lost 11 cu-in. Not money well spent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic