TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ROLL CAGE IS THERE A DIFFERENCE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ROLL CAGE IS THERE A DIFFERENCE
    Posted: Oct/14/2008 at 8:56pm
Can anybody tell me if there is a difference in a roll cage for  a 68-69 amx to a 1970 javelin will it fit right??or is there a company that makes one spcifically for a1970 JAVELINConfused
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2008 at 9:08pm
The only difference would be the rear kickers that start at the upper center hoop and go through the package tray into the trunk. On the AMX you would probably stop at the center of the wheel wells but on the Javelin you might go back further due to the longer wheel base. It also depends on what rear suspension you use that will determine where the rear bars stop. On a leaf spring car most people go as far back as possible. On my back halfed ProStreet 77 AMX with ladder bar coil over rear, I stopped the rear kickers at the shock mount area since that is the area on my car that takes the most abuse. You could always just order longer kickers or find out how long they are already. Even a prebent cage kit has to be cut to fit. They only bend the main hoops and leave the final fitting to you. I modified my 10 point cage for a better fit, even though it was ordered for a Hornet hatchback.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
chaez2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2008 at 10:11pm
how difficult is it to install?and what kind of rules does nhra have i think i heard the bar behind the seat has to be a certain hight is that true?
Scott H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2008 at 11:21pm
Re " how difficult is it to install?and what kind of rules does nhra have..."

If you are going to spend the time and money installing a cage, consult the NHRA rule book for current rules first.  I seriously doubt there is a bolt in kit that will pass tech. You probably will need to weld it yourself if you are able to weld, or hire a welder to do it for you.

Chris Alston probably has a cage kit for the Javelin in his CAD files . Go to http://www.cachassisworks.com for more info. They have some PDF tech articles online that may help you. See:  http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_how_to.html

Edited by Scott H - Oct/14/2008 at 11:27pm
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2008 at 7:40am
On a car like yours they supply 6"x6" steel plates that you weld to the floor first so the bars won't push through the floor pans. I didn't like that method so I added 2"x2" crossmembers under the floor to set the bars on. At the front footwell area I put a peice in from the factory frame rail accross to the rocker panel. At the main hoop I went with another crossmember all the way from each rocker panel and with a hump in the middle to clear the driveshaft. The rockers on a unibody car actually transfer the front frame rails to the rear frame rails and are structural members. There is a thick vertical plate sandwiched in the center of the rockers that is your frame. I also added 2x2 subframe conectors. Follow the NHRA rule book but you still need to know your car body and attach the bars where they will actually work. You can buy a prefabbed cage kit but many backyard guys have the tubing benders to make there own cages. A buddy of mine makes custom cages at his house, but he needs the car to fit it. He doesn't have a cad setup and jest bends patterns out of 1/2" EMT.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Glenn Quinn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2008 at 8:48am
S & W Race Cars list a 8pt bar p/n 11-2081 and 10 pt cage p/n 11-2581 for the 68-70 AMX, Javelin. Both are avalable in EWS, DOM, and CM 4130. 
The "X", 8.74 @ 162 - N/A
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2008 at 8:47am
Anyone use both S&W and Chassis Engineering cages? Just wondered who had the best quality cage.
amxess
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic