TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 m35 disassembly help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2015 at 12:40pm
I have rebuilt a few of these and I feel your pain, they can be very tricky to troubleshoot. I have had a very similar issue after doing a complete overhaul. No forward movement at all, not even a bump when shifting in to any gear. I swapped out the TC and the Valve body and no change. I ended up finding a damaged seal in the front clutch pack, made the repair and all is good. but I would first check your pressure it will help isolate the issue. if you have a BW T35 with a straight 6 then your PSI for D,L,R should be 50-62 at idle (engine warm), also check at 1000RPM in D and the PSI should be 90-110. I would check this before doing anything else.

Mark
Nothing to it but to do it!
calereeves View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 10:02pm
Thanks.  I'll try that soon as I can get a gauge setup for it.  Wife just had a baby saturday, so other things have been a little more important :-)
1965 Rambler Classic 770 Cross Country
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 5:18pm
Just hooked up a test gauge.  I'm starting a new thread called "1965 BW T35 Pressure Problems" so it's a clean discussion.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 8:17pm
I recall a worn out valvebody causing forward and reverse coming on at the same time and almost stalling out the motor?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calereeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 10:12pm
But this doesn't even load the engine up.  There's no familiar RPM drop when you put it in gear....nothing.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 12:28am
There won't be. It's like when you fill power steering after running dry. At first there is no PS, but as the air bubble goes away, it starts to work. Not 100% it's going to be that, but I recently had that happen with the 727 in my Eagle after I installed a known working unit. I ran it awhile in neutral before shifting to drive and reverse and it sort of felt like it was in gear, but wouldn't move. I checked the fluid and it said full. I shut it off then went back an hour later and tried again and it worked fine with another quart added. Next day it wanted one more (no leaks) and drove great. Let it sit a week and the dipstick tube sprang a leak and lost 2 quarts on my concrete driveway. (perfectly dry until then and I checked every day)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic