TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

PerTronix help for 195.6 engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperWagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 8:06am
Know of a good place to start offhand? Electrical really isn't my thing, still trying to learn.
1958 Rambler Cross Country Super wagon. 196ci cast iron engine with 3 speed manual
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 8:22pm
Do you have a cigarette lighter? Check and see if it works with the switch off. If not you can tap into it. By that I mean tap into the wire powering it, not using a lighter plug....  added this just in case....
Frank Swygert
SuperWagon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperWagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 8:56pm
Yes, but neither is hooked up.
1958 Rambler Cross Country Super wagon. 196ci cast iron engine with 3 speed manual
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2015 at 6:37am
Then test the cigarette lighter power wire. Should be easy to find, or the radio power wire. You can also go off the RUN terminal of the switch.

Since your car has no fuse block you may want to add one. That will solve a lot of wiring issues, and why I did it on my 63 (which does have a very small fuse block). Most auto parts stores carry a six fuse block in the electric section. Mount that somewhere under the dash and run a wire from the RUN position of the switch to that block. Then all you have to do is push in a fuse and add a wire to the exposed connections to get power. I'd even run the radio and cigarette lighter off that rather than use the in-line fuses (I don't think the lighter has one, but the radio does).  Use the radio or lighter power wire to run a relay (something like a fog light relay) with the relay supplying power to the fuse block straight form the battery (use the battery terminal on the voltage regulator).  That's how I run my auxiliary power block.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic