TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 232 and a jeep th400??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blown7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2015 at 12:22pm
One other thing to think about the TH400 is a horsepower hog and I don't think you'd have much grunt behind a engine that small.
coupe View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2015 at 6:46pm
I'm pretty sure the early 232 used the borgwarner round bell pattern as they used the aluminum borg that used to drop the reverse when the band wore to much and cut the seal ring. AMC went to the 904 and 727 chrysler in 70 a great move. I think ur right u most likely need an adptr. for the 400.
coupe 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2015 at 9:02pm
The move to Chrysler autos is fortuitous now, but if AMC had continued with Borg Warner autos there would be hop-up parts available for it still. B&M made a hop-up kit for the M-11/12 for a few years in the late 60s, but they stopped making them in the mid 70s due to lack of demand. If the BW trans had been used longer they'd have continued making those parts available longer. The BW has an undeserved bad rep. It's a great trans within it's power level design. The M-11/12 is an improvement over the Ford FMX, which is based on the M-8 design (through a partnership with BW, which also was responsible for earlier Ford autos). Development stopped about the time AMC stopped using them. Even the Chrysler trannys only hold up to so much power in stock form, though there is no argument that the 727 is stronger stock than any of the BW models.

Honestly, I don't know if BW (US) or AMC made the decision to stop producing autos in the US. BWs European and Japanese divisions (Aisin Warner -- who makes the excellent AW-4 used in Jeeps with 4.0L) continued development. I can only assume that something like the AW-4 would have been developed over here, and possibly something even stronger had there been a need. AMC may not have been providing enough sales for BW to continue making trannys in the US, or AMC may have just got a better deal from Chrysler. I've never heard which... AMC was the only US customer, many Euro and Aisian cars used BWs.
Frank Swygert
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 12:59am
I would make an adapter to go between the BW bell and an AW4 or flat plate to mate early 232 up to V8/4.0L or smaller 60 degree pattern of the 2.5L pattern. Use the Jeep 2.5 AW4 flexplate and converter (not that many made). Maybe use the crank spacer and flexplate for TH400 setup. (I read here that the crank bolt pattern is the same. Just the bell and crank flange style changed)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic