TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 Hyrdaulic Lifter Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlederhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 Hyrdaulic Lifter Removal
    Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 6:01pm
I have a 1966 Rambler Classic with a 232 cu. in. straight six. It appears that I may have a collapsed hydraulic lifter. Can someone advise as to whether the bad lifter can be removed through the pushrod hole without removing the cylinder head? If so, is there a tool that I need and where can I find the correct tool?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 6:04pm
a 232 V8?    if Im not mistaken, you hae to pull the head off to pull the lifters.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 6:05pm
LOL. Not a chance. Heads gotta come off. If it's a high-miler, you may want to get your hands on a lifter removal tool. Chances are you'll have lots of varnish/gunk built up on the lifters that you'll need to pull through.  Not an easy job - the head is HEAVY.  Almost worth it to pull the engine - save your back.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
dlederhos View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlederhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 6:09pm
This is a six cylinder. It is not a V8. Does that help
dlederhos View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlederhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 6:10pm
Ok. Thanks very much!!!
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 12:28am
well you are going to have to pull the head, you can not get a lifer through the hole a push rod goes through, but with a tool like this one, you can reach down through and grab the lifter once the head is off.
http://local.sears.com/Craftsman-in-Pick-Up-Tool/p-00941322000P?st=1798&sid=IDx20141117x00001xlpla#!/
I just finished installing a cam in my 232 and this is how I pulled the lifters out and installed the new ones.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 1:08am
http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/boltmod.shtml

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 6:52am
You can always take the hood off then use an engine lift just to pull the head. I've done that before, does save your back! Not to bad on the head if you have a helper to pull it and put it back in without a lift.
Frank Swygert
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 9:22am
Also note that your engine doesn't have alignment dowels for the head so you'll need to make some up. You can make them with hardware store grade long 1/2"-20 bolts. All you need to do is cut the hex part off, cut a slot in what's left, and chamfer the edges.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic