TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'65 287 Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patfran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '65 287 Distributor
    Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 3:42pm
Rebuilding 1965 287 in an Ambassador 990. The distributor in the engine has a Prestolite tab with the number 1BP 4109A on it and indicating it was manufactured in Sarnia, Ontario. I have the AMC technical shop manual for the vehicle. This distributor does not look like the one shown in the manual. I am wondering if somebody swapped a different distributor into it over the last 50 years?? I would like to be sure of the correct unit and then see if there is any way to get a replacement. This one is not in the best condition.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 3:58pm
Your vehicle was most likely manufactured with a Delco-Remy distributor which is why the picture in the TSM doesn't look like yours. Some previous owner swapped in a Prestolite. The Delco-Remy would have been a model 1111025.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Your vehicle was most likely manufactured with a Delco-Remy distributor which is why the picture in the TSM doesn't look like yours. Some previous owner swapped in a Prestolite. The Delco-Remy would have been a model 1111025.
+1 Delco-Remy V8 points distributor.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 8:02pm
Get a Delco unit and put Pertronix I in it with new proper coil.
I would use the one you have to prime the engine oil system. Keep the shaft and housing, discard the rest. Grind the shaft down to fit your electric drill.   Insert this in the engine and turn shaft CCW to prime engine, rotate engine and repeat. The housing is important as it provides a blockage to the oil return on the passenger side of the engine. Without this blockage, the rocker shaft on that side will not see any oil. Do this with the rocker arm covers off. You will be glad you did. Good Luck.
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 8:22pm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELCO-Distributor-1963-1966-AMC-Ambassador-Rambler-Rebel-etc-287-327-V8-1111025-/251888344925?hash=item3aa5b71f5d&vxp=mtr
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 6:57am
It's possible that a 65 Canadian built Ambassador had a different distributor, one made in Canada, for tax purposes. There were some changes in Canadian cars to keep Canadian content up and reduce taxes, and those aren't documented in the TSM. You can use a Delco distributor from a US made 56-66 250/287/327.  All Ambassadors should have a 327, no 287s were put in US built Ambassadors, but may have been in Canadian built models to reduce inventory. One othr thing about Canadian cars built before the 1966 AutoPact was signed between the US and Canada -- all 63+ (may be 64+...) Canadian models have white headliners regardless of interior color. 
Frank Swygert
Patfran View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patfran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 8:42am
I live in Canada.and the car was manufactured here. It has a white headliner too. I'll look at the Delco. I assume the Delco model cited will provide the oil blockage function referred to?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 10:35am
Yes. Although the Canadian model may be a different brand, it has to function exactly like the US Delco dizzy. The main engine assembly was still made in Kenosha, no difference in it. 
Frank Swygert
Patfran View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patfran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 3:39pm
Good to know. I've found a brand new "in the box" Delco in Washington State. I'll give that a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic