TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Don't scratch my wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't scratch my wheels
    Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 7:49am
I have a very old coats tire machine, air powered bead breaker, paid $10 for somewhere around 1985 and the old shop had just had the cylinder rebuilt. It has popped every bead I have thrown at it. But only on steel wheels.

Looking at my current fleet I would like to be able to peel tires off of aluminum wheels, but even if I figure out a safe way to pop the bead; Where to i get a bar that won't destroy the finish on the wheels? Anyone have any ideas? I do have one mag that is tweaked/bent. I will probably try and see what is possibly if anything with it.

I just bought the reader and programmer  to Clone TPSM's so I don't have to pay for an update every time I switch back and forth. Plus I can see a dead sensor without touching the wheel. I swapped one on my wifes 08 Altima with steel wheels, piece of cake.

I'm pretty sure anything to do these wheels is not going to be realistic. just being able to clone sensors is a start!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 10:05am
they make replaceable plastic guards that go on the tools on these newer machines
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

they make replaceable plastic guards that go on the tools on these newer machines
Tool dip?
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
69AMX364 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69AMX364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 2:44pm
http://www.ammcoats.com/combo-tool-protector-set-1
There are a lot more products then there used to be, now 2 pages.
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 3:00pm
    I used an old Coats machine to do mags. I turned the wheel over so any contact wear was on the inside of the rim. I don't know if your wheels will allow for this but it's worth checking.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 6:03pm
Glad I asked. Lot of interesting concepts out there. Thanks guys.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 7:30pm
The old 50/50? machines were great back in the day. Think a buddy has one tucked away I should ask.

Any way I had to de-bead 4 torq thrusts on my project as the tires would not hold air and need to move it in a few weeks. I bought a HF hand de-beader and 3 large screw drivers to remove the tires from the wheels, think bike tires

It was work to get them apart, a little soapy water helps putting them back on. Getting the beads to seat on the old tires was the most work.

My be CL has the newer type machine?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic