TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Speedo non functional

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedo non functional
    Posted: Mar/04/2015 at 10:05pm
The Speedo in my 63 American is not working, I do believe it was working when I got the car. It is seated in tranny properly (I believe) as well as in gauge cluster. I have not removed tranny end and tried a drill to see f it's turning to read on speedometer, is this the way I would check to see it it's not snapped? Seems like that might work. If said unit is broken, what would either a functional OEM or NOS cable set me back? I need to keep that 196 under a hundred...loi. Thanks

Mark
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 9:39am
Pull the trans end and pull the cable out of the sheath. It probably is broken. If not, you can use a universal replacement cable. Those are cut to length then and end crimped on. Crimp the end in the trans end. The cable should easily slide out. If only half comes out you may have to unscrew from the speedo end to pull the rest out. Get some graphite powder and lube the replacement cable. Oil will work, but graphite is better. Hard to get the graphite in the cable housing though. If you must use oil use a spray silicone. As long as the sheath doesn't have any kinks in it you should be good. Tight bends and kinks will wear the cable at that spot, as will any other damage to the inside. 
Frank Swygert
Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 4:43pm
That sounds like a plan Farma, will look into it.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic