TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Skagg's Jeep Eldorado, IL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concord1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skagg's Jeep Eldorado, IL
    Posted: Feb/26/2015 at 10:39am
This Dealership was still in business as a repair facility until spring 2014. Charles Tucker owner of Skaggs Jeep just recently passed away on July 2, 2014. He gave several members of Gateway AMC a grand tour of his old dealership and allowed us to have an archaeological dig through all of his parts, selling anything we could find. Charles was a proud WWII veteran serving our country. He started out as a Willy's Jeep dealer ; seen the merger of Willy's/Kaiser, AMC buyout of Kaiser Jeep, Chrysler buyout of AMC, and Daimler buyout of Chrysler. He even said that it was ironic that he fought the Germans for over 2 years and they were the ones who came in and ended his Jeep franchise in 2001. He was in the Jeep business from 1953 to 2001. He will be missed by the American Motors' Community. I  had visited his dealership several times buying parts and listening to Charles tell AMC stories that only a Dealership owner would know.
Dixieboy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2015 at 6:49pm
Very interesting, thanks for posting.
Concord1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concord1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2015 at 8:45am
It was so neat going to Skagg's Jeep and seeing New Old Stock (NOS) AMC & AMC/Jeep parts still on the shelves from 1987 on back. Charles sold me his dealership plaques, all of the AMC training films, the showroom video discs along with the player, all the vinyl AMC folders, few small Jeep signs, showroom displays & numerous parts-CHEAP!!! It was like a step back in in time, especially for myself since I was not old enough to visit a AMC  Dealership when American Motors was still in business. His dad actually opened the business as a DX-Ray Gas Station back in the early 1930's. The new owner of the building bought it for storage for his several early 60's max wedge & hemi race cars. I am still trying to buy the whole AMC era parts. He wants me to buy the Chrysler era parts which I told him that they basically have little to no value to anyone. The Willy's & Kaiser era parts are being bought by some restoration company. I will keep everyone informed if the deal eventually goes through, as I could list parts for sale eventually. There is a BUNCH of AMC era parts so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic