TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 Rambler American HEI conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coloradoluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 Rambler American HEI conversion
    Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 3:03pm
Hello all from sunny Sooke, BC

My car has been running rough lately, and it has me wanting to do a HEI upgrade.  However my research has left me thoroughly confused.  I don't want to race my car or anything, just have a reliable daily driver.  I am also not sure what distributer I have, or if there is more than one option, but my car is a Canadian model if that helps.  Also I am unsure if I need to replace the distributer gear, one place says I do, and another will say that only applies to AMC 8 cylinder engines.

Oh yeah, I have a 199 stright 6.

one option I have is a distriubuter from autozone, and then get a electronic upgrade. the distributer is part number 30-1646
http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/distributor/cardone-reman-distributor/amc/american/1965/6-cylinders-3-8l-1bl/700765_276729_0/
would I need to change the gear on this one?  will my old one work?

Another option is a HEI from Skip White, part number 6511
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6511-BLUE
Would I need to change a gear on this one?  would my old one work?

My last option is a HEI from CTI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-JEEP-4-2L-258-GM-HEI-Distributor-Plug-wires-CJ5-CJ7-YJ-CRT-PERFORMANCE-/351324384380
would this one need a new gear?  They claim you don't?  

Also there is the Chevy 250-6 option.

So many choices, so I am curious what more knowedgeable people think?

Thank You,
Luke
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 5:13pm
I'm not all that familiar with the changes (if any) between the U.S. and the Canadian models. Down here the two 6 cylinder engines were the 195.6 (L-head & OHV) and the 232. The 199 wasn't offered. If your car has a Delco-Remy distributor the quickest and easiest change would be the Pertronix electronic conversion and a hotter coil. That should give you the performance and dependability you're looking for at probably the least expense.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 5:47pm
I bet your car is running rough due to a condenser giving up the ghost. 

I had a 196 in a Canadian built car that had a Prestolite distributor. It still worked good after 145K miles and aside from routine tune up parts the only failure was from a condenser that needed replacing after sitting for a number of years. BTW, every time I replaced points I would also give it a squirt of oil down the shaft to keep the bushings lubricated.

I have a 232 that  I think also came out of a Canadian built car and it is also a Prestolite.

The 232 in my car now has a Delco and that engine came out of a Rambler American that was built in the US. I tried a Petronix kit in it with no luck, I am back to using points.

I think whatever distributor you have, if the shaft isn't wobbling just put in points, condenser, cap and rotor and you're good for a couple more years. Oh, and check the advance unit. 

If going HEI I'd try the Skip White distributor but must admit haven't had any experience with it.

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 10:21pm
The only real benefit a pertronix conversion supplies, if any, is the lack of a need to adjust anything once you have it in and working.
Now I will be the first to admit having made my living in electronics and worked with and watched electronics as it changed form basically large pieces of iron and big heavy duty coils to solid state devices that you need a magnifying glass to see much less to install.
But it is done at a cost and some times to no benefit.
As to your distributor in fair shape and a new set of points and condenser properly adjusted which was a routine repair procedure for years and years and oh, by the way! Years.
I really see no need to spend the money it takes to purchase a Pertronics conversion kit, not try to figure out which distributor you have when you can go down to the local auto parts store and purchase a BW set of points and condenser or if you want to get really heavy duty a set of Accel points.
The performance of your distributor properly set up and adjusted will supply more than adequate electrical input to the spark plugs to keep it running for many many years. How do you think it got this far with out an electronic conversion?
Now if the whole things was shot, then maybe it is cost justified. '
But in my garage, it ain't.
I have points in my Mark Donohue, the Corvette motor in my Hornet and the 232 I am building to go into a street rod.
Yes cost justified in some cases is important. But for a set of points? Phoo, I took the money I did not bother spending on an electronic conversion and bought a cam instead.
But to each their own. I guess.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 12:55pm
"The only real benefit a pertronix conversion supplies, if any, is the lack of a need to adjust anything once you have it in and working."

That's the primary benefit, but it also provides a more precise and stable spark, due to no wear (which is what you're saying). It's getting harder to find good points and condensor sets now too. With a hotter coil you usually have quicker, easier starting as well. Not having to adjust things is definitely a good thing though! John, you're just so old that you get nervous when you don't have to fiddle with the motor every four to six months!! Wink

I'd order a Pertronix Ignitor and coil for the car. The coil isn't necessary, but it won't hurt to replace the aging original coil, and a slightly hotter one won't hurt. Doesn't necessarily help much, but won't hurt.

If you want to use the GM HEI system you can. Order a distributor for a 232 or get a 1980s GM 4.1L (250) six cylinder HEI distributor, cap, coil, rotor, and plug wires. Or try to score one in a salvage yard -- that motor was used in pickups and vans until 1984, cars through 1979, so look in C-10 trucks and vans for one. You will need a gear from an AMC six cylinder Delco distributor. Others fit, can't recall which now, but you should have a Delco distributor in your car now, so just swap that gear on the GM HEI dizzy. The only thing to watch out for is the dizzy body to block junction. If the body doesn't drop all the way to the block with just a good push DO NOT use the clamp to force it tight. That will bind the oil pump. Instead, get a large washer that will fit over the lower end of the dizzy body between it and the block. The thickness of that large washer should be enough to fill the gap (if it's a bit thicker that's fine). THEN you can clamp it down.
Frank Swygert
firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2015 at 7:35am
I've run 3 Skip White HEI's. They work great! Can't beat the price. You can try the gear u have, or you may need a v/8 gear. It's a crown CROJ3208615. Don't forget the HEI spark plug wires. I use Taylor or summit. Your engine will run better than it ever has.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic