TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 rebel front park/indicator lights?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 1:29am
Why are the Australian Rebels fitted with clear front bumper lenses but the US cars have orange lenses?
76 Matador View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 4:27am

May I add my thoughts here, please? I believe the reason for the fitmant of orange lenses in USA versus white lenses in Australia is all to do with the various design rules which apply in different countries. That doesnt mean to say there is rhyme or reason to any of those laws but I suspect it is becaue the Australian Design Rules stipulated what the colours should be. By way of illustration, I notice that some of the American cars had red turn signals whereby the stop lamp doubled as a turn signal...same as FE FC Holdens. Later Holdens for example the FB and onwards had amber turn signals hence the unsightly fitment of Hella aftermarket turn signals to various Rambler models. I note with interest the suggestion there may be LED lamps which will emit bot a white and an amber light. An example of this is the rear tail/turn signal on the VW Passat where by the red tail light would flash an amber light when the turn signal is activated. There are some very interesting LED applications available nowadays many of which could be applied to great effect on earlier models. Enough from me and Thanks.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 5:26am
In the US it was mandated that the front turn signals were changed from white/clear to amber for the 1963 model year. In some years AMC and other manufacturers used amber lenses and in other years clear lenses were used with amber bulbs.

There are two types of the amber/yellow bulbs. There are painted ones that use a "A" suffix: 1157A or 1034A. I prefer the natural amber bulbs that use amber glass rather than the yellow paint, which flakes off over time. The natural amber bulbs have a "NA" suffix.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
skymit View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 6:11am
Interesting discussion here.
I just thought I would update this post. I finally fixed the lh light yesterday. Turned out there was a broken wire, and scotch locks had been used to join the bumper indicator to the indicator light in the lh quarter panel. I used solder splice's to repair the broken wire and in place of the nasty scotch locks.
A mate told me about them a few weeks ago. I'd never heard of solder splice's before. Quite easy to use. I used a butane torch to shrink them, but I would like to try a heat gun next time, so I do more shrinking and less burning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic