TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-96 Clunking in 1st

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2015 at 8:36pm
You might want to consider a 5sp. Modern Driveline I think had made up some adapters.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2015 at 8:38pm
A Rebel shouldn't have a T-96.  The T-96 was only used behind the 195.6 and 199/232 in small cars through about 1972. If you have a Rebel with a T-96 it's not factory. It might be a T-86, which is a larger three speed with no synchro in first. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the T-96 wasn't used in the big cars except with the 196 or 199 (66-67 only 199, IIRC).

In any case, if the problem is only in first gear it could be the roller bearings on the shaft. Looks like the trans needs to come apart. The T-86 and T-96 are both similar in construction, the T-86 is just a much heavier duty trans.
Frank Swygert
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2015 at 12:06am
You're probably right.  I was told that by another member, or picked it up somewhere.  I've never actually looked to find out for sure.  

Would the later t-14's from Jeeps work in the older cars?  They seem to be the most readily available.  Although, a t-5 would be splendid.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by RebelRay RebelRay wrote:

You're probably right.  I was told that by another member, or picked it up somewhere.  I've never actually looked to find out for sure.  

Would the later t-14's from Jeeps work in the older cars?  They seem to be the most readily available.  Although, a t-5 would be splendid.
Jeep T-14 wont work, T-14 has to be 2wd.
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2015 at 11:08am
It's easy to tell the transmission by looking at the case. Somewhere on the passenger side, you'll see either T-96 cast into the case if its a T-96. I'm fairly sure T-14 will be cast into the case for that transmission as well.

As far as swaps go, an early T-14 will bolt in but you'll need the driveshaft shortened (I think 2 inches). There is also a later T-14 that mostly bolts in but it will have a different spline count on at least the output shaft that matches the splines used on the TorgueFlite transmissions. The input shaft spline count may have also changed at some point. If that's different, you'll need to change the clutch as well.

Matt

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2015 at 2:03am
the T-96 is grossly inadequate for even a 232ci in a Classic. it's barely adequate behind a 195.6ci in an early American! which is what i drive... its a very small and weak transmission. only Nash, Rambler and Studebaker used it.

i had a newly rebuilt one behhind a 232 in a '63 classic wagon and i sheared teeth off first cresting a very steep hill, clutch fully engaged, no funny business.

with one broken tooth (and likely many chipped, if old) you won't hear any noise. multple teeth missing you would hear, but it would be very rapid.

the T-14 fits in the same hole (bell pattern and clutch) but the overall length is different. a passenger car T-14, not a Jeep T-14.

is the Rebel a torque tube car? everyone hates TTs, i dont; while they're a mild pain to work on, being sealed they last forever. but it confounds transmission choice.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2015 at 10:38am
The Rebel is an open drive line (drive shaft, not torque tube). My 65 classic wagon has a torque tube, but I believe 66 was the last year for torque tubes in AMC's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic