TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

axel seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: axel seals
    Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 2:57pm
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but will post it anyway.

I have put a little over 1000 miles on my 1971 Javelin AMX since I got it back on the road in 2011. I noticed this fall that I have some fluid coming out of the bottom of the brake backing plate at the axel connection. I checked the brake line and bleed valve and they are both dry. So I'm thinking the axel seals have leaked? I had another mechanic buddy put in new seals just before I installed the rear in the car, as I was getting some fluid coming out and I had not put any posi fluid in the diff.

One side is worst than the other, so I would have both replaced.

Is there something I should look for or tell the shop to look for when they install the new seals. Can the new seals be bad already? Are the seals made today, from Korea and have problems?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

Steve
original owner 1971 Javelin AMX
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 3:32pm
Steve,

If fluid is coming out the weep hole, the inner seal is bad, or maybe since "recently" installed, they mat have not been pushed in far enough, so the fluid is leaking thorugh the outsideon the seal, instead of the seal to shaft area.  If the "new" seals that were installed, were very old stock or poor storage, I suppose they could be hard and not seal, but I have never seen that.  I use the AMC Kent Moore tool to install to the proper depth in the housing, so if your guy didn't have the tool and not measure to right spot, I realy wonder about the seal being loose.

Hope this helps.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 3:59pm
Its very easy to cut a new seal if you drag the sharp splines on the axle across the seal while sliding it home. Now I wrap some heavy paper over the splines, slide it thru, slide the paper off, slide it the rest of the way home. I also had a leaker that was due to too much end play on the axle. Set the end play correctly, the leak went away.

Good thing is you don't need to pull the hubs to replace the inner seal. Just pull the axle & backing plate out as an assembly.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 4:20pm
My question would be is the axle end play set to the correct spec. To much end play and a new perfect seal will leak. 
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2014 at 5:06pm
Guys:

thanks for the input. Not sure about the depth of the seal and using the right tool? He did find out that he had installed it with the shims on the wrong side of the backing plate as their was no end play. I told him what sides the shims were suppose to go one and then end play was back. I'm thinking it could not have been more than ten thousant's as it was a very minor amount of movement.

I'm going to have a shop that specializes in working on old cars and drive trains. They do street rods, too, and had checked and straiten my drive shave and balanced it. Hoping to not have to bleed the brakes, but I don't know how they can remove the backing plate without taking the brakes out and wheel clyinder.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic