TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to ID original shifter (69 Hurst)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 10:51am
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

Here is an original Hurst for a 1970. Don't look at the rest of the interior, but the shifter is correct!

Chris 

The trim ring is MUCH closer to the driver's edge in that one. That might be the quickest giveaway.

Wish there was a 69 or 70 closer to me for sale so I could "shop" in person!
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 3:26pm
Yes.

Steve
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 8:46pm
multiple people have said the pre hurst shifter was by Inland.

Does anyone have proof Inland built the shifter?  Real 100% proof?

I've heard this before, but when I look at pictures of Inland shifters they look nothing like what AMC (and Ford) used.  The mechanism is a different design, and the AMC shifter had no mfg ID on it where Inland clearly marked some of their shifters with their name.  The only part that is marked on the AMC shifter is the reverse lamp switch which says Douglas Mfg.  As of a few years ago, Douglas still existed and they listed shifters as something they manufactured in their past. 
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 8:56pm
I've never seen any actual proof. Most of what I've read about them have been from the Ford guys. Probably shouldn't be using their research (or lack there of) but most of their research has been well documented. Unfortunately, I've never seen any of their proof that their shifters were made by Inland, however, there is a lot of reference to their shifters being made by Inland. GM and Chrysler also give credit to Inland for many of their mid 60's shifters.

What I do find interesting about the Inland shifters is their shifters are different for every auto manufacturer. Their "factory" Chevy Shifters are different than the ones they sold to Chrysler and both of those are different from the ones Ford used. The Ford "Inland" shifters are the closest design to the AMC shifter that is being referenced to Inland.

Edited by 71SC360 - Dec/22/2014 at 9:07pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

multiple people have said the pre hurst shifter was by Inland.

Does anyone have proof Inland built the shifter?  Real 100% proof?

I've heard this before, but when I look at pictures of Inland shifters they look nothing like what AMC (and Ford) used.  The mechanism is a different design, and the AMC shifter had no mfg ID on it where Inland clearly marked some of their shifters with their name.  The only part that is marked on the AMC shifter is the reverse lamp switch which says Douglas Mfg.  As of a few years ago, Douglas still existed and they listed shifters as something they manufactured in their past. 
Very interesting.   I admit to being curious....as to who made the shifters...
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2014 at 12:06pm
Since we are on the subject, here is an original 68 shifter.

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic