TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil in air cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Duane Duane wrote:

As strong as the motor runs, and it has good compression, so still not thinking rings.  The car was owned by older adults, so was given good care. I'm still working on it and will come up with some answers soon.. I sure appreciate all the input and advice!!  

older adults didnt drive them hard, and when you drive them too easy the rings dont get worked and then they will stick. Good compression doesnt mean much. So what. Its putting oil up in the air cleaner.   Just because you think it runs strong doesnt mean anything.
I can see you have your mind made up on why. So whatever.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 4:00am
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Yep, it's a lot cheaper to try another PCV, or add a baffle etc than do rebuild that could cost 1000s and still soak the air cleaner. That would suck

I've delt with some pretty knarly engines and it's usually always been the wrong or faulty valve.

Then it's just like all the baffle problems everyone has on the V8s with the Eddy Air-Gap intake.
Everone?  How interesting.  I have had an Eldebrock Air  Gap intake on my 1 970 Mark Donohue 390 since they have been  available, I think it was the first one in Arizona and I do not have any indication of a problem with it.  
Oh Well!  
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 5:39am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Everone?  How interesting.  I have had an Eldebrock Air  Gap intake on my 1 970 Mark Donohue 390 since they have been  available, I think it was the first one in Arizona and I do not have any indication of a problem with it.  

Oh Well!  

Does "most" or "some" work out better, or do you deny there has ever been a problem?

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 7:22am
No, I don't deny there has been  a problem but frankly it is my opinion those with the problem        is self induceed caused by either tr yin g to build some form of a monster motor an d then driving the heck out of it beyond design rpm limitations or using somethin g other than a valley intak gaskeet or modifying it for the oiling modification which arguably does nothin g con structive.
       Intalled as designed and driven with in the design limitations of the engine, I do n ot see a problem with it at all.
 And th is computer could use a new key board.
As I said, I have no problem with it at all and see no reason to believee there is one.
The only time I have seen oil in an Air Cleaner is if there was some form of blow by increasing crank case pressu re where it over ride s the power of the vacuum supplied by intake manifold vacum to the pcv valve.  The passage to the air cleaner is meant to feed fresh air to the engin e crank case thus sucking the vapors into the intake manifold. 
On my V8 that happened when two  pistons were damaged due to detonation an d too high a static compression for the grade of gasoline used.
And I have never had that as a problem with the AMC 6.  But I have never driven  one with the valves on a shaft, so if wear sets in, there might be more  oil splashing around in the valve cover than the designe was intended to deal with. PCV is somethin g that came about in the early 1960's an d the ea rly 232 with shaft mounted rockers is based on that era of techn ology. 
I;ll find out I guess as I have a 232 that will end up in a T bucket with a 4bbl and maybe then I might see it, but then again? I might not.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 7:47am
My 4.6L stroker (4.0L w/258 crank and rods) surprised the heck out of me! I wasn't getting blow-by, but it was using oil at about 500 miles to a quart. Had great power though. Thought I had bad valve stem seals, maybe bad oil rings (I had run it hot a few months before when a cooling fan relay burned out) so I removed the head. It had about 0.016" wear in the top, 0.025" (or more) in the bottom of each cylinder! It only had 70K miles on it.

The reason it wore so had to do with the stroker build. It had been bored too loose (0.006" cylinder to piston clearance -- AMC calls for 0.002" stock) and the stroker crank pulls the pistons way down in the cylinder. The combination allowed the piston to rock a bit from the start, which accelerated wear. This was built in 1999 when we didn't know so much about building a stroker six. The 0.006" should have been max clearance, but that's on a typical V-8. The late AMC six is a tighter engine, but my machinist didn't know the extra clearance would cause that problem... neither did I! It probably wouldn't have is not combined with the extra stroke.
Frank Swygert
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 11:32am
Recently we had oil in the Air Cleaner of my Son's 3.1 GM. 150,000 miles, he just turned or is very close to turning. Replaced the PCV valve and no more oil.

Parts quality sucks today, being made overseas, and several parts are junk right in the box, or go junk not long after. So I'd start with another PCV, do the baffle if you don't have one, then go on to a rebuild.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 7:17pm

Hello, joining the party late.

Someone asked what year the engine is. Also, do you have photos of the engine with air leaner, breather, pcv and hoses all hooked up?

That kind of information would help in assessing things.

Steve
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 8:40pm
 The path the air takes in general is vacuum is applied to the PCV valve by a fitting on the carburetor in intake manifold.  It sucks through the pcv valve thus evacuating the residue or  gasses in the crank case..    The fresh air is supplied by a fitting on the air cleaner with a filter in it that allows fresh air to be sucked t hrough the li nes going from there to the fiting on the engine, being it something on the valve cover or on the AMC v8 a fitting on the oil cap. 
If fumes or what ever end up in the air cleaner it means generally that the pressure and volumn of gases or fumes in the crank case are greater than the amount of vacum used to suck through the PCV valve thus the fumes back up into the air cleaner and oil evaporats out and settles in the air cleaner.
This is caused by excessive blow by from the pistons over powering things or the PCV valve is plugged so nothing can be sucked through it.
Or in some cases it is just a poor design or hooked up totally incorrect. 
My AMC v8 filled the air cleaner with oil when detonation broke pistons.
My AMC 6's do not have a problem.
And the  engine in my Hornet does not indicate that there will be a p roblem.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2014 at 9:30pm
Still would like to see photos.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic