TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

racked frame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: racked frame
    Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 6:07pm
Cry i'm trying to figure out my erratic drive ability  issues on my 68 cj-5.i swapped the 27 front for a 1980 front out of a cj-5, i started  having steering and death wobble with the 27 front. but before this it drove fine, i had to have it towed, the fuel pump ecentric rounded out. i had to get a run at my house to get it in the back yard and hit the curb somewhat straight on at about 25 mph.ever since then, it is a death trap,all over the road,i blocked off the front brakes ,no change,blocked off the rear brakes,no change.looking at it from the rear it looks like the frame my be racked.anyone out there can give me advice as to how to check and find out if it is racked,and the d. i.y way to fix it. thanks for any advice
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 6:50pm
I don't think it would hurt the frame from that. Death wobble is normaly worn ball studs loose tie rods 
bad or undersized steering stabelizer also check the bushings in the leaf springs.
 A few worn parts and a larger tires not perfectly balanced and it will all start a wiggling
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
GARGOYLEJEEPER View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GARGOYLEJEEPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 8:26pm
That and check your caster to 5* back.
To check frame measure diagonally across the spring mounts from ds rear to ps front, then ps rear to ds front then from front to rear on both sides. Measure from the garage floor up to equal points on each side of the frame at several locations.
All measurements should be equal.

Edited by GARGOYLEJEEPER - Dec/13/2014 at 8:29pm
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 9:24pm
Bent the leaf spring or cracked the frame? CJs are known for cracks.
odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 5:45pm
Cry the frame had been cracked before i got it,after  i hit the curb it cracked again, i welded  1/4"plates on both sides of frame.swapped front ends,now just trying to get the trans back in, it has not been cooperating with me,damn thing slipped off the jack and fell on me,cracked a few ribs so i dont see it getting fixed till next year,thanks for the tips
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic