TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition Control Module ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 9:08am
If the Motorola works when you put it back in, why change it?

Although, I would get familiar with what to do if it fails. Delco CS 130 is a popular conversion. Good charging at low RPMs and easy to install. Get the smaller one 6.6" and 180 degrees across the lugs. Cut the back side of the pivot lug off to the same width as the Motorola and it is a bolt in. Early ones like off an 89 Pontiac Safari come with a V pulley so no need to swap the serpentine pulley. 
I wouldn't know what to do with the yellow wires in the wiring conversion but the rest of it is easy. Unplug Motorola VR. At CS130 hook up output and maybe run an extra wire to the battery + to handle the extra capacity. On PLIS connector L (lamp) to orange and S (sense) to output post or battery plus. Could the yellow be used for this voltage sense connection??? 

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 3:40pm
Here's something from my experience as a parts man for an import dealership:

On the first series of Hyundai's that came to America, when they switched from the Bosch to the Korean-sourced Mando alternators, they had a problem with regulators sticking and burning up B+ wires [the big wire from the battery].  Hyundai's replacement B+ wire was actually TWO 10-gauge wires within the same split convoluted protective harness, terminated into a single brass lug terminal.

So if you have any doubts about the current-carrying capacity of your B+ wire, especially when going to a higher-amperage alternator, why not just use two?  It worked for them.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 11:58pm
Actually, before the Bosch alt Hyundai used the Paris-Rhone POS till late '88. The Delco swap that is easiest is a "stolen from '77ish Chev" 10si alt. You can even go as far as a 1 wire setup like I put in SOTE (and a voltmeter so I knew what was happening)

Edited by carnuck - Nov/25/2014 at 12:06am
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 7:23am
ACDELCO Part # 3342122   direct fit used from 1976 up 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 7:42am
I don't like the 10si one bit. I tried two and with both the light would come on at low idle. Very annoying. With the CS130 the light goes out as it cranks. One cut with a hacksaw and it is also a direct fit. Wiring is similar, 1 and L (lamp), 2 and S (sense).
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 8:00am
CS is the best conversion, just make sure the unit has the upgraded/newr style sealed rear bearing so it doesn't fail early.  Some early ones had bearing issues at time.  Five seconds with a cutoff wheel and you have a direct bolt on and any local AP store has them on hand for those of us who actually really drive our cars.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic