TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

spark lead for the 195.6 OHV...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 6:18pm
You tweak the error by traveling more or less than the actual mile, but my Sport Comp is basically the same hit or miss situation based on 2 mile distance. I'm unhappy with it's attitude, I'd like to go to something different. But then I mess with the look of the rest of the dash. I'm going to try and run it off the ABS setup in the 8.8" once I get it in. The existing sensor in the trans sits directly above the exhaust and I hope it is the sensor acting up again.

This week I have to go stomp around in the woods and try to shoot, Bambi's dad, mom, or maybe just Bambi. That's what having a son in wildlife and fisheries in college does to you.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2014 at 2:33am
the 195.6 OHV doesn't ping in the way that the 232 does; its almost silent, which is a little scary. i advanced the map in areas, a degree at a time, and got it where under heavy load it "sounded funny" and "felt flat" --- that's pinging. backing it off 2 degrees made it feel lively again, so that's my working definition of "ping".  the ping sound, when you can hear it, is very dull and suppressed. heavy pistons? the awful wedge combustion chamber? dunno.

basically, at 2700 rpm, 60 Kpa manifold, it's happy with 36 degrees advance. the old crap distro did at best 24 degrees advance. no vailable distributor will give this motor what it wants. power and mileage and sound and coolant temp are all great. when i finish tweaking the map in the next few weeks i'll update the web page and post a link.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2014 at 10:54am
One reason it doesn't make much sound when pinning is because of the thick castings. The cylinder walls are about 1/4" thick, not like the much thinner modern castings (64+ for thinwall cast blocks and such, couldn't cast thin before then!). Takes a lot to transfer sound through all that thick cast iron! The noise of the solid lifter valvetrain masks some of the pinging as well.
Frank Swygert
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2014 at 11:14am
Tom,
Your not the only one working on a 196. My partner and I thought it would be too easy to drop the 401 into the 62 Classic.LOL
Rebuilt 196 with 60 over pistons and a reground cam (don't have specs here). My partner built a new manifold plate for mounting 3 single barrel carbs and is working on progressive linkage.
Waiting for some warm weather this Dec to drop it in the car.
We have the adaptor for a T5 but will run the car without for a few months and do a swap late next year.
Have you updated the roadster web page recently?

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2014 at 11:19am
Nick,

Just curious.  Where did you get the 90-over pistons and did you have the block sonic tested before boring to that size?   I have a freshly bored (to .060 over) that still has just a shadow of the old rust.  If I build it I was planning not to go .080 or .090 over unless pistons were readily available.    Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2014 at 5:35pm
I fat fingered the 90. Corrected it to 60 over after original post.
60 over piston were a Ebay buy. About $50 at the time.

Nicm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2014 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by nickleone nickleone wrote:

Tom,
Your not the only one working on a 196. My partner and I thought it would be too easy to drop the 401 into the 62 Classic.LOL

nice! i DEMAND pics! lol

it's a fun and forgiving engine in a lot of ways. i wish the combustion chamber wasn't so 19th century.

Originally posted by nickleone nickleone wrote:

We have the adaptor for a T5 but will run the car without for a few months and do a swap late next year.
Have you updated the roadster web page recently?

i can envision the day when i'm forced to ditch this old T-96. it's truly awful. seriously, it's a full second to shift even 2 to 3. the synchro is a mere suggestion. i know exactly how weak it is -- i sheared teeth off 1st on a newly built T-96+OD in my old '63 classic wagon behind a 232. admittedly it was on a crazy-steep San Francisco hill, but teeth-shearing?! its undersized EVEN for the 1956 OHV! probably "fine" for the flathead. plus mine leaks out the tailshaft seal, since they're unobtanium and have a kludgey retrofit.

i need to get a T5 and adapter from Modern Driveline. i hope he will still talk to me after i sort of talked him into making them and then never bougt one ~_~

about a week ago i think... my laptop died, had to replace, so that delayed work on everything. i have a lot of pics that didn't fit in the scheme so ill put those up on an "other pics" page. "soon".

Edited by tomj - Dec/06/2014 at 11:37pm

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2014 at 9:41am
Well, in the chamber designs defense, it's mostly the way it is because of the conversion from the L-head. Block height and such is the same, and the L-head used flat-top pistons. So to get good compression and have room for the overhead valves, a pent roof design was necessary. Hate those matching domed pistons -- makes it hard to get a piston that works unless you want something like 6:1 compression (a flat top in place of the dome might be more like 5:1...). Or course that and about 10 psi of boost...
Frank Swygert
DocCreer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2014 at 4:47pm
How is the Roadster?Any pics?
61 American
82 eagle limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 9:10pm
OK, so i'm slow... i have been doing some thorough testing and experimentation of spark timing for my 195.6 OHV. in my experience, you simply cannot get satisfactory spark timing for this engine with the distributor -- any distributor. i had modified mine to allow for an additional 11 degrees of advance, but even that isn't enough -- and the curve is difficult if not impossible to get right. worse, there are no NEW distros available, they're all worn out. Distributor-hack link: http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/195.6OHV/Distributor/index.html

i've been running a 2009 Ford EDIS-6 system for years, and the improvement is night vs. day. absolutely superior to any distributor (195.6 or not). there is zero (0) timing jitter - none at all. you can literally hear the difference immediately, at idle and at 4000 rpm. EDIS hack link: http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/195.6OHV/EDIS%20ignition/index.html

the table below is what i'm running successfully now. my American Roadster is light (2500 lbs with gas and driver) so it probably likes a bit more than a stock American. but the "curve" is most important.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic