TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

control arm bushing tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakota089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: control arm bushing tool
    Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 9:11am
Anyone use an OTC-7068 upper control arm bushing tool on their car ?  I would like to replace the upper and lower bushings on my 1969 Javelin.

-  

Edited by dakota089 - Nov/13/2014 at 9:15am
Orchuck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 11:36am
Use a propane torch
Get the rubber hot until you can push the metal sleeve out
push the rubber out
clean the hole
Insert Poly bushing in clean hole
Two out of six of the rubber bushings I purchased were already cracked and weather checked must have been 40 yrs old.

Charlie 
1969 Javelin SST, BBO, 390, Air, Auto PS/PB, Tilt, GoPac
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 4:22pm
    I use an air chisel to remove the old bushings and a 6" vise and assorted sockets for installing the new.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 10:07pm
Not sure if that's the exact tool I used or not, but it sure looks like it, case and all. It was a loaner from Auto Zone and it worked great, though at first I could have used an extra set of hands to hold it together until I figured it out. Like most jobs you do only occasionally, by the time you get good at it you're done. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2014 at 6:45am
Worked for me.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2014 at 1:15am
I used a similar but different OTC 7249 ball joint kit. The press looks the same. With a couple extra bits it worked fine on my Javelin uppers and lowers too. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2014 at 12:34pm
Before I got my press and before I got the Kent-Moore tools from my first boss, I was able to replace control arm bushings with simple odds and ends laying around..... most of this is in my thread about my Javelin suspension rebuild of 2008.

Then I got the proper Kent-Moore tools -

greasy - can't tell you how many I've done that way, too! The big vise and sockets, spacers, pieces of pipe cut to length, etc.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2014 at 2:01pm
 IIRC the uppers on pre 70s  need to have the cap washers removed as they won't go through the outer shell.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
dakota089 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakota089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2014 at 6:21pm
thank you for all the good information..  The front suspension is out, time for some bushings, ball joints, trunnions... etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic