TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Connection Rod - 401 Stroker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 11:05am

Originally posted by turvlo turvlo wrote:

What about my .0015 rod bearing clearance. What would you do?

Rune,
Norway

That's not too bad for a 2" journal, but being you're dealing with Chevy bearings, there are .001 oversize bearings available. What compression were you shooting for? BTW, you'll have a better rod/stroke ratio with those longer rods, that's a good thing and will help stabilize the short pistons. I can't overemphasize the need to get the rods centered on the pins. Otherwise the pistons will cant in the wrong direction at the top of the compression stroke, that will cost you power and create unnecessary stress and wear. 

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Nov/09/2014 at 11:23am
turvlo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turvlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 12:15pm
Compression ratio is estimated to 10.5:1

Indy heads, Torker intake, Crane Cams Solid Roller

http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/turvlo/media/camcard_zps1e4bb2c6.jpg. -

gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 7:38pm
Good looking cam.
Should be a runner when sorted out.

SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 9:27pm

Originally posted by turvlo turvlo wrote:

Compression ratio is estimated to 10.5:1

The reason I ask about expected CR is because of the compression height and the -17.9cc piston volume. With the 4.195 bore x 3.900 stroke and assuming the block has been decked .010 you'll have 11.229 dynamic CR with Indy 61cc chambers and .040 gaskets. That's about half a point more than mine and I run more duration. Mine was designed to run on 93 pump gas, maybe you have better gas available?

SKeown
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2014 at 11:35am
Ok, I just inspected a 1974 401 rod, #5 to be exact against a Carrillo 2" journal SBC rod.

The 401 rod is offset away from cl by .075, this is away from the rod contact surfaces.
This gives, with clearances figured in a perfect 1" stagger. The beam of the rod is offset
but to the builder this means nothing.

Chebby Carillo rods are offset .05 twords the cl, the oppisite of AMC.

If my math is correct flipping the rods will give you a .025  "error" and should mean little or nothing.

I am sure some of you already know this.

Chamfering of the rod seems unadvoidable.

I did a little rounding of numbers by a few ten thousandths or so.

But the picture is clear, they gotta be flipped.

Gremlin Dreams
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2014 at 5:39pm
Photos of the sample rods and a CP Carrillo piston for good measure.
542 grams for the rod and 475 for the pistons.
Not including rings, bearings and gungeon pin.

The piston forging is originaly for a 421 Pontiac.

Edited by Boris Badanov - Nov/10/2014 at 5:59pm
Gremlin Dreams
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 12:11am

Those are good looking parts. If the Carrillo I-beams are available for a 2" journal LS engine as they are in their H-beam design? Then you only need to remove .010 from the chamfered side to get them reasonably centered. I did that and by using off shelf bearings for large radii cranks mine cleared a 3/32 radii.

Depending on the year of the OEM 401 rods, some are offset on the piston pin end too. I'm considering having Molnar design and make a 5 set run of 6" x 2" journal with the correct AMC offset. For the guys doing the 3.750 strokers, they can simply have them ground to a 2.100 journal and widen the journals by .020. That way off shelf LS rods can be used as is. 

If I had it to do over, that's what I would do. That creates 415 cid with a +.030 bore and a compression height of 1.224 in a 9.200 deck height (- .008 surface cleanup) a 1.62 Rod/stroke ratio using the 6.100 length rod and a stronger crank.

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Nov/11/2014 at 12:26am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 5:36am
I am opting for the flip and chip as it will put the beam and small end dead nuts (within .025)
of theoritical CL of the piston. On a lathe it is pretty easy to cut a new chamfer.

I got these on the cheap since they were 6.2" length intended for a long rod 302 or 283 Chebby.
They have been on the shelf for many years...
But the pistons were not cheap and the ring package is a bit tight.

On the 401 rod the beam is centered on the big end. The thrust side is paralell
and the anti thrust side is +.075"
Gremlin Dreams
crisd View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crisd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2020 at 8:40am
In a search for stroker info this thread came up. If you guys are still on this website could you give us an update with how your strokers  have performed over the years, and any suggestions on anything you would do different that I can incorporate in my build please?
Thanks in advance - Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic