TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Trying to tread lightly as a newbie, but,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Kansas Transit Kansas Transit wrote:

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Put a 5 speed in it to start, this is the 21st century after all. The T-5Z I put in my 70 Rebel was the best modification I have ever done to a car. I'll never mess with another 4 speed.

What motor an rear gear are you running Scott?

Thanks

Stan

Stan, I have a stone stock (right down to the emissions air pump) 390, backed by 3:54 gears. This is in a 70 Rebel Machine. The T-5Z has a 2.95 1st gear, .63 5th. The low 1st gear is great on the hills around here, the OD is great on the highway. 23+ MPG at 65-75 on the highway.

I see the Pennsylvania plate on the Javelin, where in the state is it from???
Kansas Transit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2014 at 6:38am
Hey Scott, I was born and raised around the Easton, Pa area, my wife and her mom were more towards Wilson, boro.

I do know that car was purchased new at R.L.Youngs AMC on Freemansburg, Ave, Wilson Boro, Pa.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 8:04am
I wouldn't worry about stress on the front sheet metal. It's held the car up great for over 40 years now, so unless it's severely corroded there isn't much to sorry about. The AMC engineers knew their job! There is little stress in front of the suspension crossmember. The main job of that metal is to hold the radiator and bumper. It does help support the suspension crossmember a bit in a truss like effect, but there isn't much stress on it. If there is some corrosion or thinning of the metal due to battery acid just cut it out and weld good metal in. The bodies are generally all 18 gauge steel, with multiple layers in places and thicker small panels where bolts will be threaded into them or reinforcements to prevent crushing box sections. I cut a total wreck 63 Classic up (saved the few parts that were usable) and measured many sections with a sheetmetal gauge tool... all 18 gauge, everywhere.
Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 8:30am
I just swapped over the frame rail and fender apron and trough from my parts car into my car. The frame rail is stronger then you may think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic