TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stuck brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cholo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck brakes
    Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 5:25am
I just got a '72 Matador and the rear brakes are stuck. I think it has to do with the emergency brake. The brake works and releases but the brakes stay on to a certain degree. The brake cable is tight when the brake is on. It loosens when the brake is released. I get a few clicks at the pedal when applying the brake and it snaps loose when released. When the car is in gear and idling it does not move when I let off the brake pedal (emergency brake is off as well) and it takes quite a bit of gas pedal to get it to go. I have jacked it up and I can rotate the wheels but it takes alot of effort.

My brake pedal feels firm too - power drums - I know that could be the master cylinder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Cholo! For the 6.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 6:36am
Jack it up, remove the drums and take a look at what's going on inside the drum. Maybe all it needs is something as simple as spraying it with penetrating oil and then lubing the sticking parts.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 7:10am
If it sat for a long time with the emergency brakes on, the cable and/or shoes are stuck or binding somewhere.Like said above, clean and lube everything and see where that gets you.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 7:34am
You might try loosening the brake bleeder at both rear brakes. If the booster is adjusted wrong it could be applying a slight amount of pressure. If a little fluid comes out when you pop the bleeders (don't hit the brake pedal!) that could be the case. There is a residual pressure valve in the rear brake outlet of the MC that holds 10 psi in the lines, so you might get a little fluid and the brakes still not release. The 10 psi keeps the rear wheel cylinders from leaking, so go press the pedal a few minutes after doing this. Won't hurt to leave it for 30 minutes or so, just press the pedal to repressurize the system before you quit for the day. The residual pressure valve could be sticking and holding too much pressure in the lines.
Frank Swygert
Cholo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cholo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 1:48pm
Thanks for all the help!

Cholo! For the 6.
Cholo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cholo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 4:23pm
Got it unstuck ... there is a slight bind in the cable somewhere. I got under it and just tugged on each cable and it loosened. I didn't hear anything or feel anything unbind though. The stuff coiled around the cable is pretty rusty so I figure that must be the culprit.

Thanks again for the help.
Cholo! For the 6.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 4:35pm
Well, you need to replace those cables then. If you get them a bit free they will stick again before too long. 
Frank Swygert
Cholo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cholo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 7:20pm
yes, you are right because they stuck again and a little tug loosened them right up again.

thanks!
Cholo! For the 6.
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 7:39am
One problem with cables is when someone oils them. This leads to the collection of dirt in the jacket that makes them bind even worse. If you do find it necessary to lubricate them, use graphite powder.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic