TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What's holding it back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 7:56pm
Nobody is criticizing you for asking for BSFC?  I don't see what's got you so worked up?
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 8:18pm
It takes about 340 hp to move a car that weighs 3600 to trap speeds of 106 mph
Use the dyno for what it is, a tuning aid

I have seen 9.60 cars only make 360 hp on a dyno..sloppy converters and silly stuff just wouldn't let the rwhp number come out right on dyno pulls.
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 9:12pm
add more timing to the total advancement , 36-38 see what it dose, make sure the secondaries are coming in all the way , you might need to play with the springs. 
JavmanBBG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavmanBBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 12:12am
The timing is probably about where it should be for the more effecent alm head if it where a stock one 38-40 would be normal. I know someone with a fairly serious drag car and it only has 30* on some severe ported Indy street heads.

I have been shown a much smaller converter for a m11. I can't remember the trans it came from but I know they where installed in older postal jeeps. It was a ??4 trans mission and I know the cores are very hard to find but a better canadate for a stall converter. Mabey someone else on here knows about them.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 1:45am
Easy enough to get a nice 10" or so high stall convertor made if necessary.
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 6:09am
I wonder what a 290/M40 converter would stall at

amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 6:31am
The old saying is each 100 lbs. removed gains a 10th of a second..... remove the right front seat and rear seat, empty the trunk 1/2 tank of less gas.... before going to the track.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 7:38pm
These days at our Nostalgia and street meets, they like to see full interiors in the street cars, but I am with you on the weight savings. I'm sure I can knock a good 100 lbs of the last race weight, maybe a little more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic