TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4 piston Disk Rotors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 piston Disk Rotors
    Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 8:41pm
I am now shopping for new rotors. I have found Centric rotors on both Rockauto and amazon.

My question is, Has anyone used the drilled and fluted rotors?

Charlie

1969 Javelin SST, BBO, 390, Air, Auto PS/PB, Tilt, GoPac
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 8:47pm
I haven't; but I'd be inclined to think they might be a good idea-since one of the drawbacks of the Bendix 4-piston brakes is that the solid rotor doesn't dissipate heat very well.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 9:47pm
I have them on all four corners of my car but not the same application as yours. The rotors are great for the money plus they look nice.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Orchuck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 3:31pm
Cquence CQS63049U Street Series Front Pair Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors
< =text/> /* * Fix for UDP-1061. Average customer reviews has a small extra line on hover * https://omni-grok.amazon.com/xref/src/appgroup/websiteTemplates/retail/SoftlinesDetailPageAssets/udp-intl-lock/src/legacy.css?indexName=WebsiteTemplates#40 */ .noUnderline a:hover { text-decoration: none; }

Price: $118.40 + $18.65 shipping
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Advance Brake Parts.
< id=ftAsin value=B00EV7IJ4C =>< id=ftMerchant value=AASE55FM17GWW =>
span.nobreak { white-space: nowrap; } #addProfessionalServicesRow { height: 80px; }
  • Cross drilled and slotted design improves cooling up to 175 degrees Fahrenheit from standard rotors
  • No modification needed on your existing brake system. Direct fit made from high quality cast iron
  • Fully machined surfaces, includes all OE details with a double disc ground finish. Rotor comes in a metal finish (No zinc plating)
  • Package includes front set ( 2 brake rotors ). Recommended for city, street, mountain, or country driving
  • Brake rotor dimensions: 284.0mmx12.87mm. One year warranty. Check vehicle fitment notes for proper vehicle fitment.
See more product details
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 8:58pm
Fancy drilled rotors are not that great for the street. I have talked to a couple of people that had issues with them grooving badly as they get dirt in the holes cut through them and then it gets dragged into the pads' surface. They look good though so I guess it depends on your preferences.   I don't seem to have any problems with the solid one piece rotors. I drove a car with them as a daily driver for a year and a half. They are on my 70 AMX and are doing great after several years now.
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 11:12pm
Are fancy rotors available for the Bendix brakes? The proper rotors require that the hub be attached to the new rotor with new wheel studs driven in the holes. This requires that the offset on the rotor be different than most other rotors that just slip on over the wheel studs. Normally the hub is located behind the rotor on other cars, but the AMC's had the hub in front of the rotor. I installed the RockAuto rotors and they work fine for street use. I could not find fancy rotors when I looked a few years ago.
DWR
1968 AMX

Orchuck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2014 at 1:05am
Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

Are fancy rotors available for the Bendix brakes? The proper rotors require that the hub be attached to the new rotor with new wheel studs driven in the holes. This requires that the offset on the rotor be different than most other rotors that just slip on over the wheel studs. Normally the hub is located behind the rotor on other cars, but the AMC's had the hub in front of the rotor. I installed the RockAuto rotors and they work fine for street use. I could not find fancy rotors when I looked a few years ago.
\

I posted the info and the price above, I got them yesterday they look great! I have the hubs and original rotors at the brake shop to have the studs pressed out. I will then compare them side by side. Bead blast the hubs, paint them and press the new rotors.

Charlie
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2014 at 12:40pm
Let us know how these rotors work out for you. Hopefully they work well for you.

I am always a little leery of web sites that claim that parts fit for older AMCs. That's just me. The Cquence website shows a front disc caliper that will fit a 68 AMX (assumedly to replace the Bendix caliper). It is $526 (each!) and only a single piston. I am skeptical that these will fit in place of the Bendix 4 piston caliper (I have no intention of replacing my recently rebuilt Bendix calipers) as the mounting holes do not appear correct. 
DWR
1968 AMX

bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 4:58am
Originally posted by jeremy0711 jeremy0711 wrote:

Fancy drilled rotors are not that great for the street. I have talked to a couple of people that had issues with them grooving badly as they get dirt in the holes cut through them and then it gets dragged into the pads' surface. They look good though so I guess it depends on your preferences.   I don't seem to have any problems with the solid one piece rotors. I drove a car with them as a daily driver for a year and a half. They are on my 70 AMX and are doing great after several years now.

^^This.  Drilled rotors are for show, not go.  Drilling weakens the rotor too much.  A properly designed slotted rotor will help dissipate heat and will not significantly weaken the rotor.

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic