TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TF904 Lokar Kickdown cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warweapon762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TF904 Lokar Kickdown cable
    Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 3:06pm
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has installed one of these on a TF904 and had pictures of how the cable is connected on the transmission. 
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 5:06pm
I have one on my 74 Coupe, I will get pictures  at the carb and trans for you. getting it dialed in for the shift points was easy.

Marc
Invest in rare metals, buy a AMC
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
warweapon762 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warweapon762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

I have one on my 74 Coupe, I will get pictures  at the carb and trans for you. getting it dialed in for the shift points was easy.

Marc

Thank you thank you! I was hoping getting it dialed in wouldn't be too difficult, I have heard horror stories about these from some people. Also did you set it up with some sort of return spring on the transmission itself? 
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 5:51pm
OK, Here are the pictures:

At the carb, you adjust the cable here on the end that attaches to the carb. it has a very small set screw. pull the cable until you have no slack, drive the car and get your shift points dialed in form there, by pulling on the cable more. when done cut the excess cable off. make sure you leave a little to get your pliers on if you have to adjust it again.

Rear attachment point on the Trans, the cable loops around and mounts near the speedo cable gear drive.

The cable as it loops around and follows the speedo cable.

at the other end of the trans, the cable end goes to the ball on the pressure valve lever.

I hope this helps.

Marc
Invest in rare metals, buy a AMC
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 7:03pm
Here's a clear shot of mine.

I have a shift kit/valve body mod in mine, but I found that I needed about 1/8 inch of play in the cable linkage to get the shifts all tuned in.  Just don't let it go slack, or you won't have enough pressure and will damage your trans.  You'll probably want to back it off from no slack, just a bit, depending on how your valve body is set up.

I'd actually leave a couple of inches of extra cable or more.  If you ever change orientations of the carb (like with a new carb that has a different throttle location) you'll want that extra bit to give you some flexibility.

76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warweapon762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 10:45pm
Oh thank you so much this has been tons of help!!!!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warweapon762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 10:47pm
No slack at wide open throttle, correct?
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 6:44am
None (teeny tiny bit) at WOT, but be careful that you check that the linkage isn't running out of slack before you reach WOT.  I can't recall what the throw distance was on mine, but you'll need to set up the geometry on the throttle arm to match.  Otherwise you'll be putting strain on the cable when you floor it.  It's pretty easy to do with the cable, since you can just pull it tight with fingers and see where the throttle connector needs to be.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic