TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 515253
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler wrote:

Red it appears you have no other choice but to get both cars. Thumbs Up

Uh...  Are you offering me a loan?  Ha ha!  And you have to explain that to my wife.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

pit crew, I'll probably be bugging you for advice for sure, if I get to pick up this wagon.
No problem. Happy to help. You know where to find me.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 6:21am
I had a similar dilema back in 2002. Had just about got my wagon all sorted out and was t-boned. Thought about getting a Javelin or Horne, something other than another Classic wagon. Then a friend found a wagon that someone had started to put a Chevy in. They didn't get far before quitting (some high school kid with no money), and I bought it. I LIKE wagons... if it's gonna have four doors it's a wagon for me! But you're a Javelin guy... so the wagon may not suit you as well. If it does, it will surely be a better DD with four doors since you have kids. The wife might swallow the "muscle wagon" better than the Javelin as well. I set out to build mine as a DD form the start, so went with a 4.0L EFI slightly warmed up. Did get a little carried away with the Jag IRS, but I'm pleased I didn't get something different. As I said, I'd just spent two years on the first wagon and almost had it where I wanted it. That made a big difference. Transferred a lot of parts from wreaked to "new". I had planned to go on a leg of the Hot Rod Power Tour that summer since I lived in Biloxi MS at the time, but the wreak spoiled that. Tried, but just didn't have time to get the car complete enough to drive 5-6 hours. Fell short by 2-3 months! Was REALLY ticked off at the unattentive guy who hit me!
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 11:52am
Well, if I wasn’t in the Marine Corps and working 80 hrs/wk plus likely moving in 4-5 months (though I don’t know for sure yet...) then I’d probably be more inclined to build the “34 years outside in the desert” Javelin and drive a $800 beater in the meantime. But I need something that runs and drives well now. This Hornet wagon couldn’t be a better situation in that I LOVE wagons, Tim is a standup guy, it’s running great, and I love oddball cars plus rare optioned rare, oddball cars are even cooler. 360/727 wagon with posi? Seriously? Oh yeah!

Plus it stood the test of the “night to sleep on it”. I looked at it yesterday, dreamed about it last night, and woke up this morning a fully converted “muscle wagon” guy already!
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 12:20pm
Cool wagon! ... good luck. Are you sure the Jav is a total, if you got a DD, then tried to fix it over time? Or do you need to part the Jav out to raise the funds for the "Surf Rod"?
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 9:03pm
As much as I love the Javelin I would take the wagon. Runs and drives, more room, posi, v8, muscle wagon.... Perfect!
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 1:10am
Originally posted by wantajav wantajav wrote:

Cool wagon! ... good luck. Are you sure the Jav is a total, if you got a DD, then tried to fix it over time? Or do you need to part the Jav out to raise the funds for the "Surf Rod"?

Yeah the insurance definitely totaled the Javelin. Could it be fixed? Sure. With a LOT of labor and effort. If I had the time, I’d be grabbing the rust free 1969 Javelin shell my buddy has and building that one up with pretty much everything from mine. But time I do not have, and I may be moving from California to Maryland in a few months. Moving that entire project coast to coast would be terrible. To avoid that, I’d just do whatever it takes to get it done which would mean sacrificing my sleep and health and family.

I started a new thread in the member projects section to talk through my possible plans for this wagon and hopefully it’ll work out and that’ll be my new thread!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 6:42am
Congratulations! Sounds like you made the best choice for your current situation. It's that or give up an AMC for a while. I did that once, when I first went into service. Didn't know I had the Rambler bug that bad (was 21) until I didn't have one for a year, then I started spotting one every now and then and drooling...  Yeah, for a 61-63 Rambler American of all things!!  Finally spotted one reasonably priced and bought it. Haven't been without one since! I did park mine over the winter due to a bad axle bearing and not being able to fix it right away (about 4 months), but I had it!!

Edited by farna - Mar/05/2018 at 6:45am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 515253
  Share Topic