TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1 family 65 rambler classic rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 1:12am
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

I don't have a service manual in front of me, but, most cars of that era use ATF type F. If I'm not mistaken.

It no doubt does but the ATF type F that they are referring to no longer exists.  Dextron III is what should be used now.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 2:18am
DO NOT use Dextron or Dex-merc in your transmission, type F is still available, try Napa if you can't find it at the big box parts stores.

Type F has modifiers that make it stickier. If you use any kind of Dextron or Mercon, you'll eventually smoke the clutches in your trans.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 6:53am
There seems to be a lot of confusion going on here.  I've had two cars with a M-35 air cooled Borg Warner transmission.  A '64 Classic for 6 years and my current '65 American for 4 years.  I used Dex-Merc in both of them and the trannies were fine.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 7:16am
Yes Dexron is the common replacement for the old type F fluid. I think various forums have beat this to death in the past. I recommended Dexron Iii because it is commonly available., although you can still get Type F on EBay for instance. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
4porter View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 9:01pm
ok Confused I hope that the right little guy for dazed an confused or at least un sure. I will bet the dex. I might even have some from my power steering job on my porsche and celica. I plan to replace all fluid when we replace the rear seal.

thanks
father and son restore project 65 classic 1 family car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic