TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Saginaw Eaton Power Steering Pulleys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waukman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw Eaton Power Steering Pulleys
    Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 6:51am
Does anybody know if you can install a 2 groove Saginaw power steering pulley on an Eaton power steering pump with an existing Eaton single groove pulley? 

Thanks for any advice you can give me
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 7:01am
Can't be done. Are you looking for an Eaton double pulley?
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 8:33am
Joe is correct.....you need a pump with a shaft designed for the double pulley.  

Chuck Page  
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

waukman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waukman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2014 at 8:40am
71SC360 - I would be interested in getting a Eaton 2 groove pulley, but based on what you guys say, I am assuming I would also have to use/have a Eaton shaft specific for the 2 groove pulley

Thus I could not use the single pulley shaft currently on my Eaton pump
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2014 at 3:57pm
I don't know what engine you have, so understand that my experience is with Eaton pumps on 6 cylinder engines.
Not sure I fully understand your question. As written, it reads that you want to install a Saginaw double pulley on an Eaton pump in addition to the single pulley already on the pump. That won't work.
If you want to remove the single Eaton pulley and install a double Saginaw pulley in its place, that won't work either.
You could remove the single Eaton pulley and install a double Eaton pulley (if you can find one) in its place. I have done that and it works. It has been my experience that the Eaton pump is the same whether it came with a single or double pulley.

Edited by 6768rogues - Sep/27/2014 at 4:02pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
waukman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waukman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2014 at 8:20pm
6768Rogue-you are correct I have a single groove pulley on my Eaton, and I would like to put a 2 groove pulley on it.
I have a 401 engine

It is good to know I can use the same shaft, so I guess all I need is a 2 groove Eaton pulley

Looking for a 2 groove Eaton pulley is going in wanted section.

Thanks for everybodys help  

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2014 at 8:39pm
Actually the shaft is longer on a double pulley Eaton pump than on the single. It may work but I wouldn't put any bets on how long it takes before it lets go. I probably have what you need (double pulley and correct shaft) but it'll be some time before I could lay my hands on it...
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2014 at 7:19am
As I said in my post, my comments pertain to the 6 cylinder pump. My 6 cylinder Rogue has a single pulley pump with a double pulley on it. However, now that I know you have a 401, I would go with the information provided by 71SC360. I do not have experience with changing pulleys on V8 pumps.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
waukman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waukman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 11:25am
71sc360-if you can locate the proper lenght shaft and a 2 groove pulley for Eaton pump please let me know-I do not need the stuff now, I am in no hurry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic