TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dyno Troubles - bellhousing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 7:14pm
The new Lakewood's for AMC are 6 1/2" deep and have the Richmond/GM trans bolt pattern...look to summit for part #
I have one on my 72 AMX.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
KLW View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 7:23pm
Thanks for the tip on the Lakewood. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet.....

Asfar as the Pontiac FW, I would have only used it that day since I have a neutral balanced AMC flywheel here (to match the NB motor) I will use next time assuming I find a solution. I may just say the heck with the dyno and drop the motor in the car, but I have a couple other options to exhaust before I make that call.
1981 Spirit
(420 cu in stroker - 570 hp)
1966 Ford Fairlane Convertible
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 8:41pm
I am getting confused here. Did you say that you have an AMC neutral flywheel and still brave enough to throw on an off brand flywheel on a very expensive AMC stroker motor? I take it the dyno shop can only bolt up a Chevy pattern to his dyno?....

Edited by jeremy0711 - Sep/25/2014 at 8:45pm
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 8:50am
Your Dyno operator has a death wish. Make sure you are somewhere in the next county when he runs that thing. Even if the Pontiac flywheel happens to have a NEARLY identical bolt pattern, the register is probably wrong, or it wouldn't have the huge T.I.R. of .010 . That is a large amount of mass out of balance and you're going to run that up to 7000 or so. I won't get into the math because I don't have the formulae available to back it up rite now handy. But lets say the flywheel is 1 inch thick steel/iron, 13" in diameter and off by .010 in only the x axis or 90 degrees to the crank. That could easily be several pounds out of balance at even idle. Add several thousand RPM's and you get into many tens of pounds out. The bolts are in shear and the flywheel is not being registered off the crank itself. If you are anywhere near this thing when that comes apart, the last thing you will hear is a loud bang and then, if you are lucky, you wake up with hot nurse feeding you through a tube. Don't do it, JUST SAY NO.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

KLW View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 11:24am
The whole thing on the Pontiac FW was to use it that day since my NB AMC FW was at home because he told me he could use an automatic flexplate - so that's all I brought. The next dyno attemp, assuming I find a bellhousing that will work, WILL USE THE AMC NB FW I have.

I just found it very strange that a pontiac FW would even bolt up to an AMC motor......

BTW, The dyno can only bolt up to a GM or Ford pattern. The dyno operator said he has done AMC's before but the people brought their own bell and they refferred to it as the "GM pattern" bell. So, that's what I am in search of....
1981 Spirit
(420 cu in stroker - 570 hp)
1966 Ford Fairlane Convertible
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 1:19pm
Interesting, BTW, The dyno can only bolt up to a GM or Ford pattern.

Since GM alone has over half a dozen different patterns.  Take a look at this listing, it seems the 'metric' one matches some AMC engines but they're four cylinder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_bellhousing_patterns

Also, back in theamcforum archives, someone posted a pattern for the bell, in case an adapter plate was going to be made up.
http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/engine-bellhousing-bolt-pattern-help_topic7987.html
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 2:04pm
My guess is the dyno guy is referring to the AMC multi pattern bell.
Commonly found in late 70's AMC cars and Jeeps with a T5 five speed manual transmission. This bell is 6.5 inches deep and has several transmission bolt patterns on it, including the Ford type T5.

If you are near Lindstrom, MN contact Matt at Bulltear. He probably knows your dyno guy if he's in the Metro area of MN too. Bulltear my be able to rent you the correct bellhousing and get you hooked up properly.

Word of caution, don't chance running the engine without the correct parts. I witnessed a flywheel explosion at a local dirt track many years ago. It was tremendously loud and destroyed everything including the engine block. Smoking hot pieces were laying all about the back straight. Luckily the driver was not injured.

I live in SW MN and would be glad to lend assistance if possible. I have a multi pattern bell but it is currently installed in the car. I have a Borg Warner auto bell and a 4 speed bell too.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic