TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX390 M12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX390 M12
    Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 10:04pm
I have the M12 automatic out of my 68AMX. Tomorrow I'm hoping to pick up the rebuilt heads. In short order the rebuilt engine should be re-assembled and installed. The M12 transmission only has 21,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt in 1981, and new torque convertor. What do you recommend be done to it before I reinstall it?
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2014 at 5:24am
make sure the seals are still soft , sitting for 33 years they could get hard and brittle and leak after your together and back on the road
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2014 at 8:56am
When was the last time the car was driven? Did it work good at that time?

My opinion, it was done 33 years ago...personally I would take it in and get it looked over and new seals installed or if your good with transmissions do it yourself. It's easier to do it now than later and then you won't be left stranded somewhere and forced to use a shop you wouldn't normally.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2014 at 10:53am
The most I would do would be to replace front and rear seals and an adjustment as per TSM. Maybe the pan needs to come off for the adjustment and maybe that can be done later once it is the car and running. 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 9:51am
Other than front and rear seals you only have o-rings in the shift lever shaft that I can remember. May as well replace them. The pan has to come off but that's all. There are o-rings in the servos that could dry up and shrink, and some in the valve body. Wouldn't hurt to replace the servo seals (they come out easily) and take the VB apart an clean it real good. Make sure you have a service manual before taking the VB apart though! There's not much to it, just have to keep things clean. There are a couple little check balls that can fall out when disassembling though, and you have to know where to put them back in.
Frank Swygert
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 6:53pm
I'm no auto trans expert but when I had my 67 apart (M11 trans very similar to yours), I replaced both front and back seals. I did not want to pull the tranny again for a cheap front seal. It was pretty easy to do.

If you have not been in it lately, new fluid is a good idea. I also changed the screen (excuse for a filter) on mine.

I avoided the rest since I was scared to touch anything related to the valve body.

Good luck,
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 9:04am
All good suggestions. Here's a couple more that you need to do before the trans is in the car. I have a LOT of experience with these trans.

Downshift/passing gear solenoid bulkhead fitting O-ring. It is a on a plastic connector that goes through the side of the case. It pushes out from the inside. Add a little silicone to the seal and push it back in.

Shift shaft seals, They require valve body removal.

Servo seals, hey, they are in your hands to get the valve off anyways.

Band and auto adjuster settings. The top one is very hard to do in the car.

Don't worry about the clutch pack seals as they are deep inside and would not be very dried out in a used tranny just from years. A low miles rebuild should still be fine.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 12:53pm
I really appreciate all the advice. The most experience I have with automatic transmissions is installing/converting to overdrive automatics, setting up TV cable/linkage on 200 4R and Ford AOD, replaced oil pan filter on an AOD, and adjusted the bands on a FMX when it started slipping. I have the TSM but with my limited experience don't feel confident enough about performing all the suggestions that were mentioned. A video that could walk me through it would help.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 4:45pm
You have to start somewhere! Take a look at the TSM. The valve body drops right out with 4-5 screws. There are 2-3 screws that hold the two halves of the VB together. Take those out last, and on a lint-free cloth (old bed sheet works, towel doesn't!). There is one or two check balls that should come out, the TSM shows where to put it (them) back. The servos are even easier -- just a bolt or two holding them in. None of this is much harder than taking the filter out. These are pretty simple transmissions. Back in the early 80s I hadn't done as much as you have, and I pulled one apart and rebuilt it with no issues. If you have the TSM it's not hard at all. If you've ever done some engine work (rebuilt an engine?) it's a good one to cut your teeth on.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic