TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 Javelin front end

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Javelin front end
    Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 8:19am
I have a 69 Javelin.I need coil spring towers rebuilt .Tires are towed out. I need as much info as I can get on this.Parts, Manuals anything.I am new to forum so I hope you guys can help.Thanks

Edited by ramblinrev - Sep/21/2014 at 11:48am
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 8:39am
What you are looking for are trunnions. This thread may help:http://theamcforum.com/forum/rebuilt-trunnions_topic58869_post529436.html?KW=trunnion#529436

While you have the front end apart to replace the trunnions, do yourself a favor & replace every bushing in the lower & upper control arms, as well as the lower ball joints. Do it once, & do it right.

Do an ADVANCED search in the steering suspension section for trunnion & you may find more helpful posts on rebuilding this style of suspension.

Look for a factory issue AMC service manual for your car, it will be a great help to you.

Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 11:42am
Technical service manual is the only way to go.   It has all of the info you willl need. I got one on disc off of eBay for about 30 bucks. Print out what you need when you need it.
Orchuck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 12:40pm
Get a spring tool
Then decide rubber or polyurethane bushings,
rebuild the brake calipers
decide if you want new springs

I am n the middle of this same job now. I was surprised at the price of things, it adds up fast! My ambition is larger than my budget.

1969 Javelin SST, BBO, 390, Air, Auto PS/PB, Tilt, GoPac
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 3:11pm
In 1972 I quit driving my '57 Rambler that had essentially the same trunnion front suspension.  It wasn't because of the trunnions; it was because the upper "cap" section of the spring towers was beginning to separate from the vertical structure, and it was making the hood bow when it was latched.  My family and I deemed the car unsafe to drive at that point.  Since the original poster mentioned spring towers, it might be a good idea to ASK whether he is having a similar problem with the structural integrity of the  welded spring towers that I had...rather than to simply assume that when he said "spring towers" he really has no idea what he's talking about, when it's possible that the actual spring towers ARE the problem.

So, to the original poster: Could you go into a little more detail about your problem?
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 5:16pm
If you are not looking to build it back to stock you could look in to Control Freak Suspensions http://www.freakride.com/product-category/make-model/american-motors/ that replaces every thing up front. They also have a kit for the rear too.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic