TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Our CJ-7 build is getting close

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our CJ-7 build is getting close
    Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 6:34pm
My son's CJ-7 is almost ready for a test run. It's a 79, originally a 6. He's had it over 20 years and did a lot of off-roading with it. I built a 304 out of a bunch of extra parts and swapped it in years ago. It got so rusty he stopped driving it about 10 years ago. It's been out side the whole time and not stored properly which hasn't helped it. In 2012 he decided to get it running, replace all the lines and just patch it enough to drive it, but when we got into it, it was too far gone. We probably would have been better off with a new reproduction frame, but I like fixing what I have which sometimes bites me in the behind. The body is an 89 YJ which was supposed to have very little rust. It had less than the original but certainly not rust free. And it sure wasn't the simple bolt-on that we were told it was.

It's not a fussy restoration by any means as he intends to off-road it, so the point was to make it "safe", reliable and rustproof and paint everything as much as possible to make it easy to keep clean.

Right now it needs the flairs, some finish wiring and too work the bugs out. New wheels are on the way. The next big projects will be rebuilding the front and rear ends and narrowing the 9" Ford rear to match the front. Bumpers and doors and then maybe a proper paint job. This is just a lacquer spray can touch up and the nose is Eastwood's 2K catalized spray can chassis black. It's OK for now...

Converted the YJ body to the CJ tailgate and gas filler. Tail pipes have to be trimmed. and bumpers fabricated.

My chassis jig. Locate the rear crossmember and build out to it. The strings worked pretty good until somebody tripped over it. The garage hasn't been sheet rocked yet...

My goal was to try and stiffen it up with real tubing crossmenbers instead of the stamped tin. The one by the shock mounts is the old roll bar narrowed in the center. 

I just hope it's strong enough. I have to over design to make up for my crappy welding. POR-15 works great for something like this. The mufflers are Jegs $29.00 that sound like Flowmasters and it has twin cats. There are aluminum heat shields under the floor.

All the way from Cape Cod, Mass to Albany, NY. Looks like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Supposed rust free body

If I could weld, I'd be dangerous

Shade tree mechanic

Bed Liner makes it passable. Other side and drivers floor had to be done too.

Engine runs great but has a vibration that I suspect is a wrong damper or flywheel. Have to sort that out.

Edited by Rogue401 - Sep/15/2014 at 8:40pm
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 11:55am
here it is with the hood on it. The hood and front fenders are Eastwood's catalyzed 2 part spray can primer and chassis black. It probably wasn't meant for painting a large area like a hood, but it looks OK and did cure very hard but a little brittle. It would be great on chassis parts

Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 6:38pm
Looks good
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 8:22pm
Thanks!

It moved under it's own power last night for the first time in years. It was 40* and was pretty darn cold with no roof, but fun. It probably won't last long, but it's amazingly tight and rattle free right now. One good thing about the tires is, if there are any noices, you can't hear them.

The Jegs welded mufflers sound great.

Biggest issue is an engine vibration that's pretty bad. I'm assuming it's either the damper or flywheel. Not sure where to start with that...
SnakePlissken View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakePlissken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 2:04pm
Cool thread, just subbing. 
1976 Matador & 1972 Gremlin
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 9:14pm
Have driven it a little more and overall, I'm pretty happy with it. This is the only one I've driven, so I don't have anything to compare it too, but the rear springs seem very stiff which makes it very bouncy. They are very old Skyjacker 4" lift springs with new Skyjacker shocks. The other issue is the steering is very "twitchy" Almost scary. Nothing is loose, the box is a newer rebuilt, new Borgeson steering shaft and tie rods tight. I'm sure It needs alignment. It feels like there's no caster. 10" wheels probably don't help either... 
amcjoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

Have driven it a little more and overall, I'm pretty happy with it. This is the only one I've driven, so I don't have anything to compare it too, but the rear springs seem very stiff which makes it very bouncy. They are very old Skyjacker 4" lift springs with new Skyjacker shocks. The other issue is the steering is very "twitchy" Almost scary. Nothing is loose, the box is a newer rebuilt, new Borgeson steering shaft and tie rods tight. I'm sure It needs alignment. It feels like there's no caster. 10" wheels probably don't help either... 

Very bouncy with twitchy steering - yep, sounds exactly like the 84 CJ7 that I restored with a 4" lift and 10" wheels with 33" tall tires. The CJs never rode very well stock and the limited weight in the back with the lifted springs, well, they ride like a cattle wagon.

I had power steering on my CJ and it was better than the manual steering on the Commandos I owned. The short wheelbase and wide tires make you pay constant attention when driving. Not a vehicle you could even think about texting and driving in!!

Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 8:53pm
It's like driving a riding lawn mower 60 mph. But it is fun. Just not the way I would have built it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic