TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 360 fluctuating RPM issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GDAWG1007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 360 fluctuating RPM issue.
    Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 12:44pm
Hey guys, I got a question regarding my AMC 360. The 360 seems to be fluctuating from 600rpm to about 1100rpm after about 30min or so once the engine has been running for awhile. The engine itself has been board over .30, RV cam, DUI distributor, Howell throttlebody with 360 chip, Electric fans, 140 alternator, gear reduction starter, headers ( there is a very small pinhole after the collection location but the O2 sensor is located on the opposite side), Dakota digital gauges, etc...

Any suggestions into tracking down what this could be? The engine does not shut off or hasn't so far.

Thanks and if you need anymore info please ask. I am driving the jeep now with no issues, but it just seems strange that the engine would jump so far and adjust itself so much from 600 to 1100rpm.
1979 CJ-5 Renegade AMC 360, T-176, Dana 300, One Piece AMC 20 Axle 4:10 Gears, Dana 30 4:10 Gears, etc
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 12:55pm
Do you hear rushing air like a massive vacuum leak?

When I installed my Howell EFI, the throttle plates on the TBI were too far closed, causing the IAC (idle air control) to open too far. I had to remove the pressed in cap for the throttle plate adjustment screw. We disconnected the IAC, a friend had a tool to close it manually, then adjusted the idle to about 500 RPM with the throttle plates. Plugged in the IAC and let the computer adjust to 750. No more WHoosh, and a much smoother idle.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
GDAWG1007 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GDAWG1007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 1:03pm
Well I don't recall hearing any noice like air rushing out or being sucked in but I'll try to check this evening with some starter fluid or just try to hear the air. I do however have some PCV hooked up into the wrong ports according to the diagrams I have been finding off-line.
1979 CJ-5 Renegade AMC 360, T-176, Dana 300, One Piece AMC 20 Axle 4:10 Gears, Dana 30 4:10 Gears, etc
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 1:53pm
    How are the fans wired? Disconnect the power to the fan and see if it will shut off.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
AMX1972 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 6:47pm
Does the howell injection use a throttle position sensor of some kind? If the throttle blade is open too far it can cause this issue too on many injection systems. You might need to adjust the TPS to reset it to a level that is recognized as "idle". If the blades are open too far it will bypass the idle settings and go into a surge. Resetting the TPS to an idle voltage will make it use the idle settings and stop surging. I don't know what voltage range your setup wants, some systems use .99 volts as the breakover from idle to "cruise".
1972 Javelin AMX T/A Red 360/4 speed

1968 AMX "The Pied Piper" "Cam Only" 390/727 1/8th mile bracket racer on E-85. 10.92@121.9 mph.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 7:51pm
Bad timing sets do funky things.

Just found that out myself yesterday. You can bash your head against your motor for months and change, test, and tune just about everything until you're ready to drop-kick it, but it'll never run right if that timing chain is shot.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 9:46pm
Just out of curiosity does this fuel injection system have any self test diagnostics built into it?  I have scan tools to be able to read the diagnostics for the fuel injection I use on my Spirit which is based on the 94 Jeep unit, or basically that vintage mopar and it is an OBD-I era system.  My Saturn is PRE-OBD-I and I have one that will read it too.  I find it very valuable to have that capability.  Also both have a form of self test that can be used with out a scan tool where it flashes error codes through he check engine light.  What you are describing seems to me the system is sensing a mixture problem and attempting to compensate which seems a little tricky to guess at. Because it should also sense rpm and try to deal with that too. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
GDAWG1007 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GDAWG1007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 12:08pm
Thanks guys. I was in the process of checking some of your suggestions when my T176 transmission would not shift into first or second. The transmission shifts fine when the engine is off, but once it warms up the transmission won't let me shift into gear. Any thoughts? I'm thinking it has to be a synchronizer, but have found some post on line saying it could be the clutch. This engine swap and transmission overhaul was supposed to eliminate all this headache... Hahaha it hasn't.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic