TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 199/232 Air Guard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 199/232 Air Guard
    Posted: Sep/09/2014 at 6:41pm
Mods can move this is they want.   I was doing a little bedtime reading last night and came across the 1966 Data Book description of the Air Guard system for AMCs sold in California.  As usual, California was "ahead" of the rest of the country, by one year in this case, regarding emissions control for passenger cars.

The file is below:

uploads/82/air_guard.pdf

My 1966 American is base model  (220) with the air guard, sold new in California and I plan to leave the equipment in place, at least as a non-working exhibit.  Joe

Edited by pacerman - Sep/09/2014 at 9:09pm
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2014 at 8:25pm
AIR cars got different carburetors and distributors as well. The AIR system itself doesn't affect how the engine runs, but the tune-up specs that went with it did.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2014 at 3:55pm
My 66 American 4.0 project originally had a 232 with the Air Guard system so I assumed it was a California car when new. No one was interested in any of the Air Guard parts but I still have some of them around if you need something or want spares.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 12:55am
all that stuff works fine when dialed in right, but in nerd-speak they are all "brittle" -- meaning, they don't have much range/tolerance for things being out of whack. when totally spot-on, it's fine. the wrong thing out of spec/not set/etc and the engine runs like crap. i got my 1975 Gremlin 304v8 to run perfectly with all of the smog junk set up, but man was it a PITA to get right.

the modern "closed loop" stuff is vastly superior, but that's changing the subject. the A.I.R. just squirt air into the exhaust port, zero impact on performance except for the gulping pump which probably consumed one or two HP. it just uses waste heat to burn off HC's that escape the combustion chamber. it's all unsightly under the hood but otherwise no big deal.

i think the worst thing in those early years was the crap spark timing, and TCS that killed advance (especially when it's controls go crazy). fix that, and A.I.R. working right will give you bragging rights in 2014 :-)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 7:36am
And I got a 1980 full AMC Smog Configuration to develope 140HP and still pass local state Smog Tests along with another 1980 bone stock to run just fine, pass smog and get almost 30 mpg on the open road. 
The biggest problem smog equipment had was bad rubber vacuum lines and people thinking they knew better by partially and incorrectly disconnecting things. Along with poor tuning. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 10:56pm
The hardest thing with smog engines is when people remove or bypass all of it thinking they know better and you try and restore it all back to stock.

That's no fun.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 11:16pm
'Specially when you take into consideration the number of components that are just flat not manufactured any more any where!

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

'Specially when you take into consideration the number of components that are just flat not manufactured any more any where!

...and the things that had several different versions/calibrations within a single year and changed every year. One engine could have 4 different carburetors, 3 different EGR valves, 2 different CTO's....and all are only identified from each other by the part number, which by the way, are not made any more and the few that are made are "universal fit" ones hat don't work properly in any application.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic