TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

need stock coil spring info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need stock coil spring info
    Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 9:48pm
Does anyone have a 1976 V8 hornet front coil spring out that could measure the free length.I also need the O.D. of the actual coil,not the wire O.D. I'm looking at some performance spring options for the hornet I'm building...
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 11:44pm
I have a 1989 MOOG "Performance Coil Springs" catalog.  Using their part numbers, all '76 Hornet V8 without a/c use their part number 3112, and with a/c they use their part number 3156 [except station wagon without air uses the 3156, and the wagon with air uses their part number 3142.]

Now...going to the back of the book, I get this information:  

#3112 has a free length of 14.604 inches; it has an INSIDE diameter of 5.000 inches, and a wire diameter of 0.690 inches...which, by my calculator, yields an outside diameter of 6.38 inches.

#3156 has a free length of 14.920 inches, same ID and wire diameter, so the OD would also be 6.38 inches.

#3142 has a free length of 16.466 inches; same ID, but a wire diameter of 0.677, for an OD of 6.354 inches.

As you're probably aware, the springs have one pigtail end and one tangential end.

Hope this information is helpful [I just KNEW I was hanging onto that catalog for a reason...].

Edited by Buzzman72 - Sep/04/2014 at 11:51pm
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 8:33am
Reference the above information I have a TRW catalog used by NAPA with a 1987 date that pretty much gives the same information.  But to take it one step further in going through this catalog and looking at AMC spring applications the following part numbers and yes apparently the aftermarket pretty much obtained parts from the same sources one would guess, for all (and I am going from memory at this point) AMC cars with the possible exception of Pacer and Eagle used the following part numbers for springs:
CS3156
CS3140
CS3148
CS3142
CS3112
The specifications for these 5 springs were fairly close in physical dimensions which pretty much says that they all fit into the same space.  This also pretty much says that the front suspension of the cars made from 1970 The first ball joint suspension cars to end of production of the 2 wheel drive cars which would have been the Concords and Spirits. 
The CS might very well have been TRW's method of identifying their own parts, but universally available for other sources. 
Taking the CS 3112 the specifications were as follows for the spring. 
inside diameter = 5.02
Wire Diameter = .690
installed height = 9.50
Load = 1591 lbs
Pounds per inch = 306.4
Aprx Free Height = 14.70
Taking load as an indicator of application, the lighter cars would have gotten one spring and the heavier cars would have gotten one with a greater load rating. 
As all 5 of these springs would fit the same space, as the weight changed the spring with the greater or lessor load rating would be substituted in. 
Taking load only as a variable;
CS3156 = 1690
CS3140 = 1490
CS3148 = 1409
CS3142 = 2013
CS3112 = 1591
There were two other springs used for AMC applications also and they were:
CS5596 = 1440 
CS5598 = 1520
So that takes in 1987 all of the springs recommended for use in AMC products that were available. 
No matter how the car was configured. (if memory is correct when I did this, only from 1970 on)
If in aftermarket A/C made a difference in weight, a spring may or may not be called out. 
As these springs seem to be universally available from different sources when it comes to making a heavier duty spring for a given car it is mostly simply a matter of looking up in a catalog the weight or suggested application and ordering the next spring designed to to carry more weight.  In making a spring it is more difficult as one is probably using the same wire stock and either winding more coils to fit in the same space or not. 
As I personally have applied this information, I do not like the nose high attitude of AMC cars and preferring the either level or some times what is referred to as the TransAM rake, when I rebuild a front suspension of my cars I will use the old adage that to drop the front end 3 inches, remove one coil so I use that and cut off anywhere between 1/2 to 3/4 of a coil to get the nose out of the air.  Which does two things, drops the front of the car anywhere from 1 to 2 inches and also increases the spring rate of the installed spring, that is it makes it stiffer or heavy duty if you will. 
My sources for springs over the years?  Wrecking yards with AMC cars in them, but that has gotten more than a bit thin in the last 10 years. 

Edited by uncljohn - Sep/05/2014 at 8:36am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Avery08 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 9:49am
Thanks a ton guys exactly the information I was hoping for.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 9:50am
Unk, I'm mostly in agreement with you on this.  I just didn't go into details about the load ratings of the springs because the original poster didn't ask.  Obviously, from the MOOG chart, #3142 has a taller free length but a smaller wire diameter...so if you're guessing it has a lighter load rating than the #3156, you're correct.

Somewhere in my vast "archives" in my garage, I have a black plastic covered binder from AMC that contains the "AMC SPRING SELECTOR," but I'm pretty sure it only has AMC part numbers...and that's likely the reason I held onto the MOOG catalog.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 2:42pm
If you are having trouble finding what you need, I took similar data to what was presented above (got it mostly from the TSM) and had Coil Spring Specialties make me a rear set for my Ambassador. I chatted with them about how I wanted them just slightly different from the stock specs. In my case, they custom built just what I needed. Price and delivery seemed reasonable They've worked fine for several thousand miles including a trip across country to Kenosha.

BTW, I had a set of off-the-shelf springs prior to this that were miserable so these guys deserve some favorable mention.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 10:34am
After 1969 AMC stopped publishing spring data in the TSMs. Prior to 1970 all the specs are in the TSM like the MOOG catalog data, including spring rates.
Frank Swygert
amc7174 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc7174 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2014 at 9:13am
I found all this spring info very timely and helpful as I am currently redoing my front suspension on my 74 hornet drag car. Does anyone have the pounds per inch for the 6 cylinder springs?
Thanks,
Tom
Q.What is on the last page of a Chevrolet owners manual?
A. A bus pass!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic