TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wheel Weld Molding Trim Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Weld Molding Trim Cleaning
    Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 10:34am
I noticed a portion of the Wheel Weld Molding Trim on the Javelin has some type rust/oxidation, etc
on it, and I would like to now if this can be removed, and if so, what is the best recommendation process. I believe these moldings are stainless steel? Maybe these can be polished out with some type rust remover? This may just be 40 years of road grease/grime buildup, but I am not sure. Most of the moldings look in decent shape, besides a few scratches and dings, but this one area is on the front passenger wheel weld molding, and I would like to clean it if possible:

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 10:47am
Google "polishing stainless steel"  or go to Youtube and do a search on the same string.  You'll find lots of good references.  The only way to make it look like new again is to polish it with the right equipment.  But there are metal polishes out there that are easy and inexpensive to use and that will improve the looks.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
BBO390 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 10:54am
Looks to me like its road tar or undercoat.  Try a bug and tar remover, then 0000 steel wool and chrome polish.
69 BBO AMX 390 auto 1968 Rogue V8 68 AMX 343 AT 52A Project
Artful Dodger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artful Dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 8:09pm
I think you may find that the wheel well trim is aluminum. Try a weak fridge magnet to see if it "sticks". If not it's aluminum. Use aluminum polish and 0000 steel wool as advised earlier.
67, 770, 232 Auto
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by BBO390 BBO390 wrote:

Looks to me like its road tar or undercoat.  Try a bug and tar remover, then 0000 steel wool and chrome polish.

Agree. It also looks like some Texas sand on top of Tar Wink  First figure  out what it is and put Linda to work. LOL
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 8:22pm
A magnet may not stick to stainless, but the residue does look like road grime.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 9:27pm

Agree. It also looks like some Texas sand on top of Tar Wink  First figure  out what it is and put Linda to work. LOL
[/QUOTE]

Ron, if you recall....The Javelin is "Linda's Car" when it is "Cruise Nite or Car Show Time".
                             The Javelin is "Yours Truly" when it is needing any type "TLC".
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 7:35am
Dickie,

All Wheel Well mouldings on 71-74 Javelin's are made from "Magnetic" Stainless Steel, most commonly called "Martensitic, Ferritic, Duplex and Precipitation Hardening" Stainless Steels.  They all have a degree of carbon or chrome in them to provide specific toughness, finish, chemical resistance properties.  If your mouldings are not "dented or dinged" that roughness is most likely from a combination of factory undercoat, road tar grime.  I usually use Mineral Spirits on a rag and soak the area, tap off you new paint. Avoid scraping with hard tool, it takes time but will result in a fresh look. 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic