TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

master cylinder interchange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 6:50am
Lyle, you can use a Ford MC. I'd try a 68 or so Galaxy with front disc brakes. Just remove the residual pressure valve from the rear outlet. 75-78 Matadors used a 1-1/8" master cylinder. 71-74 Ambos with disc brakes used a 1" bore MC unless they were manual (Ambo would have been all power brake cars), then they used a 1-1/16" bore. So I think you got Matador and Ambo confused -- last Ambos were made in 74.

71-74 were Kelsey Hayes brakes, 75-78 were Bendix with large piston (big cars, 75-76 small cars -- small cars changed to a smaller piston caliper 77-78).
Frank Swygert
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 11:05am
I should ask are the 61 Classic brakes wider than my 60 American?
Ron Francis
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 1:16pm
I can answer my own question.  I pulled a wheel and measured and they are still the 2 inch wide in 61.  I bought the car for the engine and hoped the brakes might be wider also.  Oh well, So far the engine appears to be a great buy.  Are the spindles or A arms the same as my 60 American?
Ron Francis
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 1:40pm
A-arms are different between American and Classic. I'm not sure about the spindles....
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 6:45pm
The LOWER A-arms are actually the same, the uppers are different. AMC has a separate part number for American and Classic lower arms, but the only difference is the inner bushing. Classic uses a bolt, American a much larger bar in the rear. I think the Classic/Ambo bolt is 3/8", the bar on the American 1/2". When you bought an arm from AMC back in the day it came with the bushing. The lower trunnion is the same also. Upper trunnions are different.

The 64 Classic had wider brakes. The 61 Classic six might not be wider, but the wheel cylinder is a bit larger. Don't have my books handy so can't check anything right now. You need to check your American. It might have 1.5" or 1.75"wide front brakes, not 2". Check diameter also -- the Classic might be an inch more in diameter but same width (9" or 10" vs. 8" or 9"...).
Frank Swygert
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2015 at 10:51am
Back to the Master Cylinder, I found one that bolts directly to the 69 dual diaphragm booster if you are changing to four wheel disk brakes.
The Raybestos MC36468 or equivalent has the 3.2" bolt mount, 1-1/8" bore, engine side ports and is from a 75 to 79 Lincoln 4 wheel disk brake vehicle. You will need a 7/16" to 1/2" adaptor for the front reservoir.
The reason I changed to the four wheel disks is it was much cheaper ($1000+) here in Canada to buy two Ford Explorer rear ends and shorten one side to get a posi then buy solid axels and AMC20 upgrades from the US.   
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 7:40pm
FYI,
The master cylinder does bolt up but on installation today it interfered with the pin bushing and bale wire. The booster is a Cardone and the original AMC booster did not have this bushing. Cardone stated they rebuild boosters from the pile to fit the request so the booster I received is built to AMC bolt dimensions but was not an original AMC booster.
Long and short I fabricated/installed a 0.125" spacer and re-measured pin length and 0.990" was the number I used from the front of the spacer.
Pedal travel is 1.5" that I was aiming for.   
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2015 at 5:51am
Good thinking! Make sure you test it good before getting out on the road, but sounds like you have a winner!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic